>
IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff

Welcome Guest ( Log In |

> IMPORTANT:

Fanfic FAQs. Portkey.org forum's still temp offline. We've displayed these FAQs to assist some with their questions.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> About getting author's permission, others to continue abandoned fics or to translate fics
MDiezeL
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."
You might need to scroll up a few lines to read this complete advisory.

-- gal-texter on behalf of Portkey.org staff

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post May 3 2004, 08:23 PM
Post #1

Simple Minded

Group: Member
Member No.: 3,484

I've betaed for Feron.
Props to my beta(s): Michelle, SheWhoHathAPen, MushyPeas!

MODLY NOTE: Co-mods, please don't merge this INTO another thread. Pls. retain this thread's topic ID # 7914 as it's been linked in the Fanfic FAQs. Thanks! -gal-texter Jun2008

Basically, is there anything wrong with another author picking up a fanfic that someone else had abandoned?

I'm considering picking up this one story that seems to have been paused indefinitely by the original author and I've worked with the author before. I'm just wondering though what ethics might be involved with such a possible venture. And I am planning on asking the original author first, of course, what he/she thinks of my venture.

(I wasn't entirely sure if this was supposed to be in Polishing the Quill or General FFF Discussion. Feel free to move as necessary.)

Thoughts, anyone?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
gal-texter
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post May 3 2004, 08:48 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Staff (admins c)
Member No.: 1,281
Hi! Call me Pen. :)

SMUT! Click if you're an adult PK oldbie!
Read our feature on author HARRYS MISTRESS!

As long as you have the original author's permission, then there shouldn't be any problems. smile.gif I imagine the original author might want to discuss character and plot development issues.

In RL, don't ghost writers continue storylines started by deceased writers? Like those people who write new V.C. Andrews stories?

I personally have a lot of favorite fanfics that have been abandoned. sad.gif crying.gif I generally avoid new WIPs (works in progress) now.

Btw, our PK-mate J herself encouraged everyone to continue a story that she was forced to abandon. It's called Drown My Sorrow.
+Quote Post
ridxwan
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post May 5 2004, 04:03 AM
Post #3

PKWizard/Witch

Group: members
Member No.: 5,264

Yo MDiezel

You need to contact the author of the abandoned story first, get that person's permission and approval and chat with that person about the story.

How did the author want that story to be like?

How is the ending gonna be like?

Why he or she abandoned the story?

Asked for permission to do some changes that suits the story?

You're the first guy to do this thread and asked us fellow PK to do this, you are brave.

Here's a philosophy in my life, we must end everything that has a beginning.

So you must do what you thing is right, go for it. thumbup.gif cool.gif
+Quote Post
Nousia
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post May 5 2004, 03:30 PM
Post #4

Resident Drama Geek
Group Icon

Group: Guarding the Muggle Minister
Member No.: 246
Hi! Call me Nitya. :)

MDiezeL - FYI, it's in the right forum. tongue.gif

As for continuing an abandoned story that someone else has written - as people have said already, you have to get the author's permission and discuss your plans with the story/story in general. But personally, there's nothing wrong with writing a story that someone has abandoned. Although it won't be the same, but what the hey. We all need to see a variety of people's writing.

+Quote Post
Galgano
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Feb 1 2007, 05:17 PM
Post #5

ickle firstie

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,207

MOD NOTE: merging this with a related thread.
~gal-texter / Pen Jun2008

Is it considered okay if, hypothetically, a person were to take another person's fanfiction that isn't complete and hasn't been worked on since january 17 of last year and rewrite it. While the original author has made no official statement about discontinuing it, said person would like to see the story continued. That person has already asked the original author if he/she will be continuing the story but no reply has been sent and is wondering if he/she could start the fic over and write it again in his/her own style but still keep the original plot. The hypothetical person would like to know

This post has been edited by gal-texter: Jun 9 2008, 05:23 AM
+Quote Post
Adam
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Feb 2 2007, 11:41 PM
Post #6

Head of Fanfiction/Forum Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 806
Hi! Call me Adam. :)

Only if you have full permission from the original author. Otherwise, it is plagiarism.

Adam, Portkey.Org Fic Mod Team.
+Quote Post
lzhttn
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jul 22 2008, 12:32 AM
Post #7

ickle firstie

Member No.: 21,783

Alternate ways of contacting authors?
Say, for permission to translate their stories?

hello ev'ryone, I'm new here

I'm a die-hard H/Hr shipper in China, I want to translate a fanfiction into Chinese, but the author didn't leave any info at "Contact Information" or "Bio" , what and how can I do? could u tell me?

thx a lot~
+Quote Post
gal-texter
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jul 22 2008, 01:01 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,281
Hi! Call me Pen. :)

Hi and welcome to the forums! You must be either thrilled or tired with the Olympics-mania!

Okay, first, I'm assuming you could see the author's blank contact info fields after you've logged in? If that's the case, then I suggest you contact the author through their story's review board. That is, leave your request as a "review". Authors normally enable the option for them to get emailed alerts of new reviews.

You can also search for that author's name in our fic rec-engine (fanfic recommendations search engine). Check the results for alternate story URLs or author URLs. Often, the authors post in the threads that are listed as "Link to Discussion Forum." Their forum username might be different from their pen name, so best for you to read every post in those threads.

If they don't reply after some time, then you'd have to presume they've lost interest in the fandom. sad.gif In that case, you have to let it go.
+Quote Post
lzhttn
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jul 22 2008, 01:08 AM
Post #9

ickle firstie

Member No.: 21,783

So fast...
Thanks for the reply, I'm now trying

QUOTE(gal-texter @ Jul 22 2008, 05:01 PM) *

You must be either thrilled or tired with the Olympics-mania!

wel, sort of it...I should say, as alwsys, "Welcome to Beijing"...

This post has been edited by lzhttn: Jul 22 2008, 01:53 AM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff