>
IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff

Welcome Guest ( Log In |

> IMPORTANT:

Fanfic FAQs. Portkey.org forum's still temp offline. We've displayed these FAQs to assist some with their questions.

11 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Numerical ratings for PK's archived fics?, poll closed. see 1st post for results
Angel-Wing
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."
You might need to scroll up a few lines to read this complete advisory.

-- gal-texter on behalf of Portkey.org staff

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Feb 3 2004, 11:09 AM
Post #1

The Shipper Maniac
Group Icon

Group: Guarding the Muggle Minister
Member No.: 921
Hi! Call me Romy. :)

When you start reading a fan fiction, do you care about the rating it has? Do you give a fair rating, taking in consideration plot, strcuture, etc? I'm asking this because I've noticed that most of the fics here have a rating above 9. I know that Portkey authors are great, but sometimes made me wonder if that rating represents how good a fic is.

Personally, I don't consider the rating when I decide to read a fan fiction. What about you?

MOD NOTES by gal-texter:
Related discussion by PK fic mods

POLL RESULTS as of Apr 6 2004
What to do with Portkey's numerical rating system for fanfics?

Remove it - it does not help when deciding what to read [ 54 ] [46.55%]
Keep it - I use the ratings when deciding what to read [ 40 ] [34.48%]
Replace it - I have a better idea (list below) [ 6 ] [5.17%]
Unsure - I don't really care about the rating system. [ 16 ] [13.79%]
Total Votes: 116

6Apr2004 Merging this now with the Poll thread. James announces the removal of the numerical rating system.

We're keeping this thread open for more suggestions in improving our Fanfic Side. You may also post in this thread or email [email protected]

24Feb2004 Locking this thread now so we can focus on this poll started by PK Admin, James. After a decision has been made, we will merge this with that other thread.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
WonkyKris
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Feb 7 2004, 09:26 AM
Post #2

Waiting for the impossible
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,749
Hi! Call me Kris. :)

I don't consider it either. If the summary intrigues me, why bother about the rating? I'll make up my own mind on whether I like it or not. Romy, did I answer your question right?
+Quote Post
Anazecria
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Feb 7 2004, 10:14 AM
Post #3

Official HMS Pumpkin Pie Librarian (Keeper of Quotes)
Group Icon

From: Gutter City Town Mayor's Office aka Sydney, Australia
Member No.: 1,445
Hi! Call me Nielle. :)

Personally, when reviewing, I don't give ratings. From what I've noticed, only those who think a Fic deserves a 10 will rate it, few will actually give lower than that, with the exception of Flamers. I read a Fic based on the summary first, but Recs and who wrote it does factor in too and then the decision on whether to continue reading is based on what I have read so far. So an out of 10 rating doesn't really hold sway with me.

Nielle
+Quote Post
Facade
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Feb 7 2004, 10:44 AM
Post #4

the girl your mother warned you about
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,809
Hi! Call me Sandra. :)

SMUT! Click if you're an adult PK oldbie!

Well honestly after reading the summary, I admit I glance over the rating. Does it hold some sway on me though? No, not really. Since after all the rating is the average of all of it put together and while some may find it fantastic others will rank it lower according to personal opinion on the plot, from what I have observed. Also another key into the factor, is exactly who wrote it. There are some fictions that generally get a really good rating since the author is sort of a famous name. Although once you read the fiction, it may not be all that deserving of a high score.

So in order to get less of an unbiased mark, you have to be a newbie author that is barely sharing her/his talents with us all. smile.gif
+Quote Post
WonkyKris
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Feb 7 2004, 10:50 AM
Post #5

Waiting for the impossible
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,749
Hi! Call me Kris. :)

All this talk has made me go over and see what my rating was.... oh dear,lol...
+Quote Post
darkstar
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Feb 7 2004, 11:11 AM
Post #6

Mugwump of Publicity, SFHHS
Group Icon

Member No.: 263
Hi! Call me Pat or Patrick. :)

There are several types of raters here.

1. Those who always give 10s no matter what. Most of these people simply don't appreciate the difference between good literature and mediocre stuff.

2. Those who never give 10s. These people tend to think they're better than everyone because they're harder raters.

3. Those who don't rate for whatever reason.

4. And honest raters.

A lot of people fall into 1, 3, and 4. The rating system has been discussed for many of the reasons which you people are discussing here. Unfortunately, we haven't come to any sort of consensus. The rating system is mostly in place to try and give authors more tangible, instantaneous feedback. However, it can also act more like a popularity contest, and is completely subjective, rather than relative to each other. They shouldn't really be used to compare fics to each other.

OK, now that I've ranted on that subject a bit...

Darkstar
+Quote Post
Hermione Cosplayer
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Feb 8 2004, 02:03 PM
Post #7

Lite Lord (1/3 less Fat and Calories)

Group: Member
Member No.: 3,404

I don't pay too much attention to it, but if I see a fic with tons of reviews and the final total is in the 7's or 8's, it might influence me in the decision to read it.

Something that I find annoying and from what I understand is against the rules, is someone that in their review says that he or she can't deny that you are a great writer but the plot of the story is not to his or her taste, and them, wham...you get hit with a 5.
+Quote Post
GemmaH121
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Feb 9 2004, 12:01 AM
Post #8

Gemstone
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,799
Hi! Call me Gemma. :)

Yeah I don't pay much attention to the ratings. My stories on portkey often get an okay rating about8 or 9 but I don't really think that's a really reflection on my stories. Also you'll notice it's an average of all their ratings which also needs to be taken into account. I mean often my stories have a high rating because only 2 or 3 people have actually rated it.

I would like to think that I rate fairly when giving ratings. If I like the plot and the grammar and structure are good I give a 9 or 10. If I like the plot but the grammar isn't so good i give about an 7-8. If the plot is alrighht and I believe I could read it in give a 5 or 6, and if I really don't like the plot I give it abou 4. I generally don't give bellow 4 as then I feel as though I'm flaming the author.

Gemma
+Quote Post
Hermione Cosplayer
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Feb 9 2004, 09:56 AM
Post #9

Lite Lord (1/3 less Fat and Calories)

Member No.: 3,404

From Portkey Review Ettiquette:
...when the author states in the story that it has something in particular that might not be for everyone, and yet they get a lower value because of personal preference. Granted personal preference does play a part in liking and not liking a story, but the rating you give is the quality, the ease or read and the likeability of a fic. When the author can not appeal to your personal preference, it's polite to rate only what the author can do to make you like the story better.

In other words, if it's right there in the summary that there are plot points that may not appeal to your personal preference, it's not right to rate it so low.

On the other hand, if it's a story that that you would otherwise enjoy but their are huge plot holes and issues like that and other writing issues, I'd feel the low rating would be justified.

As for me, I don't think I'd have the patience to get through a story like that, let alone give constructive critisism. It would have to have something about it that caught my attention that made me think, "this is a diamond in the rough, I'd like to help." I hope that doesn't sound stuck up, I'm just busy with school. In fact, I have two midterms, the first of which starts in about 2 hours and I really should be studying rather than being here.... whistling.gif
+Quote Post
Ashes
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Feb 9 2004, 07:24 PM
Post #10

PKWizard/Witch

Member No.: 1,341

I don't base my opinion on rating on Portkey at all. The average rating here is over a 9, and frankly, I've read fics that I think are quite bad (in plot, plausibility, characterization, etc) that have very high 9s, and I suppose that's influenced my ideas of just how useful the rating system is. Of course, there are also the fics that very much deserve all the 10s they get, but they are more or less the minority. The thing is, an 8 isn't bad at all, so I don't think it should be treated as such.

Of course, my tastes might be just odd and I have different standards. However, although I don't review all that much (bad!Autumn, I suppose), if I think a fic is so amazingly good, I'll post a review, and generally a long one. Of course, the reason I might not post a review to a fic I don't think is good and has a lot of things needing improvement is because I won't make it through the entire chapter and will simply press the back button.

Okay, so basically.. I don't rely on the rating system at all. I base my opinion on the title, summary, and perhaps the username if I'm feeling picky. But usually just the title and summary. If I see spelling mistakes in the summary, I'm not going to read the fic at all. (Come on, reading the word 'storys' or 'summarys' is not a good way to show off excellent grammar or spelling.) Same goes for the "R&R plz!!!" that people stick at the end of summaries -- I refuse to read if someone has one of those there, particularly in netspeak.

This post has been edited by Ashes: Feb 9 2004, 07:25 PM
+Quote Post

11 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff