>
IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff

Welcome Guest ( Log In |

> IMPORTANT:

Fanfic FAQs. Portkey.org forum's still temp offline. We've displayed these FAQs to assist some with their questions.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tech'l issues in reading R/NC-17 fanfics, eg., can't read them in another PC
Renata
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."
You might need to scroll up a few lines to read this complete advisory.

-- gal-texter on behalf of Portkey.org staff

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Jan 4 2004, 07:48 PM
Post #1

PKWizard/Witch

Group: Member
Member No.: 1,855

Hi -

I was at my parents' house over New Year's, and I wasn't able to access any NC-17 fanfics over at fanfiction.portkey.org. I know you've been working on restricting access, so when I noticed I wasn't logged in, I thought that might solve the problem. It didn't work; it just bounced me back to the same page without logging me in, and when I clicked on the title of any NC-17 'fic, all that came up was a blank page.

Now that I'm home, I noticed that I'm apparently not logged in here, either. (I guess I have a username/password for Kindred Spirits, but not for the fanfic site. At any rate, when I enter my username/password on the fanfic site, the same thing happens as happened at my parents'; I get bounced back to the same page.) Yet, I *am* able to access NC-17 fanfics. The 'are you over 18 page' comes up, and all is well.

Could it be a Netscape problem? (I use IE at home; my parents use Netscape.) Or does it have something to do with being logged in at talk.portkey.org on my home computer and not at my parents'? (Their dial-up is very slow with this site, so I don't generally even try to get to it.)

Just curious,
Renata
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MDiezeL
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Jan 4 2004, 08:46 PM
Post #2

Simple Minded

Member No.: 3,484

I've betaed for Feron.
Props to my beta(s): Michelle, SheWhoHathAPen, MushyPeas!

Well it could also depend on the permissions setup with your parents' PC. It's possible that such (adult) access is blocked by your parents' PC or the service provided for your parents' internet.
+Quote Post
NAPPA
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jan 4 2004, 09:24 PM
Post #3

* being generally evil *
Group Icon

Group: Staff (admins c)
Member No.: 1
Hi! Call me Imran. :)

Props to my beta(s): James!

Forums and the Fanfiction section runs on two seperate Login Systems. The fanfiction.portkey.org AND users.portkey.org uses the fanfiction system. It's different to the forums system , because we made them at different times, and didn't integrate them into the system. HOWEVER, we've not implemented the Adults only NC17 access yet. So the reasonable reasons why thing happened might be :

a. Your parents ISP block bad sites like PORTKEY -- however, this is unlikely, as we're not rated with these companies, and when they find them they ban entire .something.com, so you wouldn't be able to access the site at all.

b. Your cookie settings are different. Check your internet explorer setting. I'm fairly sure that you will find that your "Privacy" settings in there are much lower. It's probably medium to very low. The Netscape might be configured on your parents computer to be very high privacy settings. Basically the cookie that portkey serves out to your computer keeps track of info like if you said YES to the form asking if you were over 18 or not. IF the securtiy and privacy settings are really hight, you can't use the fanfiction section fully. You can use the forums though... It's becuase the forums also uses a technology called - sessions, that keep track of unique users for upto 15 minutes at a time.
+Quote Post
Renata
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jan 4 2004, 09:52 PM
Post #4

PKWizard/Witch

Member No.: 1,855

Thanks -- I guess it's probably the privacy setting thing. I'm certain it's not a kid-safe thingy.

(sigh -- "thingy" -- my vocab goes to heck when it's past my bedtime)

Night,
Renata
+Quote Post
Muirnin
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jan 14 2004, 06:23 AM
Post #5

Queen Mum - Royal Family of Cliffies! @}>---'---,---

Member No.: 1,362

QUOTE (NAPPA @ Jan 4 2004, 11:24 PM)
Forums and the Fanfiction section runs on two seperate Login Systems. The fanfiction.portkey.org AND users.portkey.org uses the fanfiction system. It's different to the forums system , because we made them at different times, and didn't integrate them into the system. HOWEVER, we've not implemented the Adults only NC17 access yet.

This sort of explains part of what my issues were... (I know... I'm spouting off again...)

I had some difficulty with accessability to the Adult fan fiction sites in regards to my readers... now granted, I don't ever want to 'lose' readers, but I am also responsible enough to know that what I write is not intended for all eyes... Who knows why I write primarily Adult fan fiction... Maybe it's because I don't want my Dad (who is nearly 70 and is Santa Claus) to see my work... I don't know...

But I couldn't figure out why if we have to give our birthdate why we still get the Yes/No questions board... because wouldn't that show that we are over 18... Then I understood about the additional security... about what if someone got onto your computer while you are logged in...

Then it hit me... If we are keeping close watch on security... why is it that I get UNSIGNED reviews??? to me that makes no sense... If someone is going to be allowed into the NC-17 sites, I think they really can't be anonymous to review... it makes me think that an underage has gotten into my story... and that thought bothers me...

so I guess, you already answered my concerns... but perhaps I may have said something that will trigger something in someone else...
+Quote Post
Scrivenshaft
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Feb 10 2004, 05:58 AM
Post #6

Forum and Fanfiction Moderator
Group Icon

Group: Guarding the Muggle Minister
Member No.: 1,748
Hi! Call me Rachael. :)

I don't think you can stop people from accessing NC-17 fics really. If they want to read them, they'll find a way around them.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff