>
IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff

Welcome Guest ( Log In |

> IMPORTANT:

Fanfic FAQs. Portkey.org forum's still temp offline. We've displayed these FAQs to assist some with their questions.

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HOW TO: Convert documents to HTML, MS Word, WordPerfect, etc
NAPPA
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."
You might need to scroll up a few lines to read this complete advisory.

-- gal-texter on behalf of Portkey.org staff

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Oct 6 2003, 11:54 PM
Post #1

* being generally evil *
Group Icon

Group: Staff (admins c)
Member No.: 1
Hi! Call me Imran. :)

Props to my beta(s): James!

This thread deals with how to convert your files to HTML.

EDITS:

May2008: Converting MS Word 2007 documents ~gal-texter

May2008: Related thread: Upload Issues/Tips w Corel WordPerfect 8, Wordpad, Notepad, AbiWord. I can't merge that with this one as the overlapping posting dates will mess up the flow of messages. But you may reply about those programs in this thread. - gal-texter/Pen May2008

23July2004: A kind soul shares detailed steps on how to save Word Perfect files as HTML. ~gal-texter

28May2004: I've listed some free Office / Word Processing programs. If you don't have Microsoft Office - they are great replacements. ~NAPPA

6May2004: There's also a program here that converts plain text (.TXT) files to HTML. ~gal-texter

Though these screencaps [on the thread's first 5 posts] are done on Word XP, it's also applicable to >>

Microsoft Word 2000
Microsoft Word 97
Microsoft Word 98 (Mac)
Microsoft Word 6

Corel Office, Word Perfect, Works and many many more.

1) Start the Word Processing Program.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NAPPA
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Oct 6 2003, 11:56 PM
Post #2

* being generally evil *
Group Icon

2) Then go to the file menu. And look for the open option.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
NAPPA
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Oct 7 2003, 12:01 AM
Post #3

* being generally evil *
Group Icon

3) Find the file that you want to convert. Open it up.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
NAPPA
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Oct 7 2003, 12:03 AM
Post #4

* being generally evil *
Group Icon

4) After opening up the file, you have to now Save it as another type of file. To do this go to , File menu , and look for Save as.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
NAPPA
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Oct 7 2003, 12:06 AM
Post #5

* being generally evil *
Group Icon

5) Change the type of file. Look for something that shows " Internet" or " HTML" or something similar. It can also sometimes be called " Web Document".

Attached Image

+Quote Post
NAPPA
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Oct 7 2003, 12:08 AM
Post #6

* being generally evil *
Group Icon

You should have a new file in the directory where the file is , and it should be something along the lines of (previous document's name ).htm or .html

Upload this file. It might not show the extention (.xxx) of the file, depending on the settings of your computer.
+Quote Post
gal-texter
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Apr 26 2004, 06:48 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,281
Hi! Call me Pen. :)

SMUT! Click if you're an adult PK oldbie!
Read our feature on author HARRYS MISTRESS!

converting .TXT files to .HTML

Our Portkey-mate, Mistletoe shared this software that converts plain text (.TXT) files to HTML. Do note that we haven't tried this program ourselves.

QUOTE (Mistletoe)
You dont need any applications such as MS-Word to save text file as HTML. Just download this little application and it will convert the plain text files to HTML for you:

Text2Html

This post has been edited by gal-texter: May 6 2004, 07:45 PM
+Quote Post
NAPPA
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post May 27 2004, 05:24 PM
Post #8

* being generally evil *
Group Icon

Free Software to make HTML files :
  • AbiWord : http://www.abisource.com/
    Makers of AbiWord - a free program capable of reading DOC files and saving in HTML format. Avaiable for : Windows, Linux , QNX.

NOTE: A PK-er has reported issues with AbiWord here. - gal-texter May2008

• Open Office 1.1.1 : http://www.openoffice.org/
    This software is pretty big at 65MB, but it should only be one nights ( 8 hours ) in a 56k machine. It makes the most compatible version of DOC files that can be read in Microsoft Office series. It comes with software that will be able to do Presentation, Spreadsheets and Word Processing. It has the ability to save in HTML files.

Available for Linux, Windows, and Solaris.
+Quote Post
solemn pessimist
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jun 16 2004, 09:45 AM
Post #9

Cornish Pixie

Group: Member
Member No.: 391
Hi! Call me Stephanie. :)

Moved to Off-topic - this doesn't belong in Beta Reader Searches.

I need help converting my docs to html with a word wrap and it looking normal. My system wont let me do it, if anyone can help.... email me at [email protected]

There's a thread about that. I'm moving it there. ~gal-texter

This post has been edited by gal-texter: Jun 16 2004, 05:52 PM
+Quote Post
NAPPA
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jun 17 2004, 03:34 AM
Post #10

* being generally evil *
Group Icon

Solemn - Can you email me the chapter you need converting ?
[email protected] smile.gif

NAPPA
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff