>
IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff

Welcome Guest ( Log In |

> IMPORTANT:

Fanfic FAQs. Portkey.org forum's still temp offline. We've displayed these FAQs to assist some with their questions.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Misc Questions re PK's fanfics section
mrCONSTANTvigialnce
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."
You might need to scroll up a few lines to read this complete advisory.

-- gal-texter on behalf of Portkey.org staff

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Jan 30 2007, 07:23 AM
Post #1

ickle firstie

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,951
Hi! Call me AUSTIN. :)

Misc Questions re Portkey's fanfic hosting section:

Can fics be seen in their entirety instead of per chapter?
Is there a printer-friendly mode of viewing fics?
How will I know the reading sequence of stories in a series?

~gal-texter/Pen May2008

Can fics be viewed in their entirety instead of chapter by chapter?

am i wrong in thinking that there is a way to view a fanfic in its entirety, instead of chapter by chapter. someone please help. thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
AdamantEve
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Feb 1 2007, 07:49 AM
Post #2

Go on, then. Call me a witch. I want you to.

Group: Member
Member No.: 11,365
Hi! Call me Anna. :)

Props to my beta(s): Tome_Raider, Aurabolt!

If the fic is chaptered, you can only page through it chapter by chapter.

The obvious exceptions are if the fic has only one chapter and if you cut and paste all the chapters into your word program under one file.
+Quote Post
jane99
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Apr 9 2007, 11:31 PM
Post #3

PKWizard/Witch
Group Icon

Group: Guarding the Muggle Minister
Member No.: 8,220

How to update 'Other stories by the same author" field?

Hi - I've noticed how many stories in the fanfic section end with a list of links to other stories by the same author. Having (finally!) gotten a second story up and running, why does this not happen for me? What do I have to do to add it?

Thanks, jane99.
+Quote Post
MmeFleiss
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Apr 10 2007, 10:28 AM
Post #4

PKWizard/Witch

Member No.: 8,326

SMUT! Click if you're an adult PK oldbie!

QUOTE(jane99 @ Apr 10 2007, 03:31 AM) *

Hi - I've noticed how many stories in the fanfic section end with a list of links to other stories by the same author. Having (finally!) gotten a second story up and running, why does this not happen for me? What do I have to do to add it?

You shouldn't have to do anything extra to have those links be there, I don't think. I did notice that in multi-chaptered fics, the links only appear on the last chapter.
+Quote Post
sartone
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Apr 10 2007, 10:37 AM
Post #5

d-addict

Member No.: 11,896
Hi! Call me Tony. :)

I can see the link to the second story.
+Quote Post
sweet-lemmon
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Apr 10 2007, 03:48 PM
Post #6

Just magic

Member No.: 13,962
Hi! Call me Gisele. :)

QUOTE(sartone @ Apr 10 2007, 03:37 PM) *

I can see the link to the second story.

Me too. smile.gif
+Quote Post
jane99
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Apr 10 2007, 08:04 PM
Post #7

PKWizard/Witch
Group Icon

Group: Guarding the Muggle Minister
Member No.: 8,220

But I can't! *wails pathetically*

It's not there for me when I'm logged in, or when I'm logged out. I can see the links in everyone else's stories, though.

However, if you're all seeing it, then it must just be my computer or something. This is what comes from belting it when it won't behave... *grrr*

EDIT: No, wait! MmeFleiss is right. I see it now. *feels very stupid, backs slowly away, whistling casually*

Thankyou!

This post has been edited by jane99: Apr 10 2007, 08:07 PM
+Quote Post
chimaera
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jan 14 2008, 12:38 AM
Post #8

ickle firstie

Group: members
Member No.: 22,120

MISC QUESTION:
Is there a printer-friendly mode for viewing stories here?

Hi there

Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere but I've not had any luck playing with the search tools...

Is there a printer-friendly version of the site/stories available? I tend to prefer reading stories in a dead-tree format rather than on a screen.

I'm not explaining myself very well so let me give you an example using a different fic site:

Site

The above link is for a fic on the Sink into your Eyes site, note the chapter and story links on the right hand side

Clicking on the story print link gives you the below:

Print Story

As you can see - its much easier to read, won't cause any problems printing (since theres no coloured backgrounds or any of that stuff) and theres a choice between per-chapter and per-story ready which is useful for example if I'm reading using my little internet tablet - can view the entire story at once so don't have to be constantly connected to grab the next chapter.

Anyway - is such functionality available in Portkey? I've been poking around for a couple of days now and can't find anything but I'm hoping I'm just being blind and/or stupid smile.gif

Answer here. ~gal-texter
+Quote Post
Scott
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Mar 22 2008, 01:10 PM
Post #9

ickle firstie

Member No.: 22,344

MISCELLANEOUS QUESTIONS
Post in here only if your question doesn't fit in the other threads listed in here.

How will I know the sequence of stories in a series?

Sorry if wrong forum sad.gif

Theres someone named 'madscientist' who writes harry potter fanfictions and I downloaded them;

Harry Potter and the Circle`s End
Harry Potter and the Darkness before the Dawn
Harry Potter and the Lions of Gryffindor
Harry Potter and the War of Shadows

But I don't know which one to read first sad.gif :S if anyone knows can they tell me which 1 to read first, second, third ect?

Please tell me, thanks
Scott.
+Quote Post
gal-texter
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Mar 23 2008, 03:10 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Group: Staff (admins c)
Member No.: 1,281
Hi! Call me Pen. :)

SMUT! Click if you're an adult PK oldbie!
Read our feature on author HARRYS MISTRESS!

There are more appropriate forums/threads; but I suppose the mods will forgive you for making this understandable newbie error. wink.gif

Anyway, if you're asking which story came first, and which came as sequels, then the Fic Recs Engine* can help you with questions like that. Here are the search results for "madscientist". Click on the fic titles to view the details for each fic. Say you viewed those for "War of Shadows", you'll see the ff sequence at the bottom of the window:

1- Darkness before the Dawn
2 Sequel - Lions of Gryffindor
3 Sequel - War of Shadows

Apparently, "Circle's End" is set in another "universe".

If you want to comment on those stories, follow the "link to discussion forum" shown in the rec details. Hope that helps. smile.gif

*you access the Fic Rec Engine by clicking the "Fic Recs"/"Recs" icon on the top right of Portkey's header

--------

EDIT May2008:
You can also check the story summaries and the date they were posted in PK.

This post has been edited by gal-texter: May 31 2008, 10:16 AM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff