>
IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff

Welcome Guest ( Log In |

> IMPORTANT:

Fanfic FAQs. Portkey.org forum's still temp offline. We've displayed these FAQs to assist some with their questions.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Flames in PK - what can be done about them?
MisCard
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."
You might need to scroll up a few lines to read this complete advisory.

-- gal-texter on behalf of Portkey.org staff

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Nov 28 2004, 11:39 PM
Post #1

Creator of Harmony Podcast
Group Icon

Group: Guarding the Muggle Minister
Member No.: 6,261
Hi! Call me Misti. :)

Modly note: Answers here and here.

What can be done about flames (rude / inappropriate reviews)?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, but I just received two abusive Anonymous reviews on my story "Kindred Spirits, Bound Souls", and I wonder if there's any way to report them? I deleted them from my story, but I still have the e-mail alerts from them. Is there anything that can be done about the person leaving them, or are we only able to delete the review(s) and they get away with it? I'd appreciate any help with this, these reviews were just uncalled for and disgusting.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
PhoenixWriter
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Nov 29 2004, 07:37 AM
Post #2

Oracle said: You'll be blamed
Group Icon

Member No.: 926
Hi! Call me Diana. :)

I'm afraid there is probably not much what there could be done though.

However I move it to the right place so NAPPA or anybody who is familiar with this can help you smile.gif

~Phoenixwriter
+Quote Post
Scrivenshaft
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Nov 29 2004, 07:52 AM
Post #3

Forum and Fanfiction Moderator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,748
Hi! Call me Rachael. :)

Next time it happens, PM a ficmod (me, Mogliecat, Szaranea, Hermione's Twin, Adam, etc - we have a green cap each under our names - or NAPPA) and we'll see if we can get their IP address and ban them.
+Quote Post
WonkyKris
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Nov 29 2004, 08:04 AM
Post #4

Waiting for the impossible
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,749
Hi! Call me Kris. :)

Well, you could always make the change that you don't want Anonymous reviews...um, at least I think you can. But Rach (Scrivenshaft) was right. Just let one of them know if it happens again. biggrin.gif

Kris
+Quote Post
Szaranea
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Nov 29 2004, 10:02 AM
Post #5

one of the two riders of the modly apocalypse
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,471
Hi! Call me Ri or Anna. :)

QUOTE (Rach)
Next time it happens, PM a ficmod (me, Mogliecat, Szaranea, Hermione's Twin, Adam, etc - we have a green cap each under our names - or NAPPA) and we'll see if we can get their IP address and ban them.

Uh, at the risk of sounding like a total n00b to ficmodding, but we can ban them? I can't see reviewer's IPs. Should I be able to?

Ri
+Quote Post
Scrivenshaft
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Nov 29 2004, 10:04 AM
Post #6

Forum and Fanfiction Moderator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,748
Hi! Call me Rachael. :)

I think we can - we'd need NAPPA's help though, as I can't see them either.

Rach, also total n00b wink.gif
+Quote Post
Thieving Magpie
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Nov 29 2004, 10:21 AM
Post #7

Your opinion of me weighs less than sunlight.
Group Icon

Member No.: 49

Uh, at the risk of sounding like a total n00b to ficmodding, but we can ban them? I can't see reviewer's IPs. Should I be able to?

Hi, banning IPs is really not recommended since most of the ISPs assign their IPs dynamically. Which means if you connect to the Internet you'll be assigned an IP that you keep just as long as you stay online. If you connect next time you'll most likely be assigned a different IP.
In other words: If you ban my IP right now, someone else might not be able to leave a review tomorrow and I am not effected at all then. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Epona
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Nov 29 2004, 11:06 AM
Post #8

Comet Two Sixty

Group: Member
Member No.: 4,436
Hi! Call me Rhiannon. :)

Um, not meaning any disrespect or anything, or wanting to stick my nose in... but... people get these all the time right? I must have had at least one for every fic i've ever written, not just on here, on FF.net as well... surely you should just delete the review and ignore it?
+Quote Post
MisCard
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Nov 29 2004, 11:35 AM
Post #9

Creator of Harmony Podcast
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,261
Hi! Call me Misti. :)

I usually do ignore them, but this was three very hateful reviews within five minutes. I can deal with some of these that tell you they hate your story, they'll never read it again, or worse, but this person used derogatory words and every swear word there is. We shouldn't have to put up with reviewers like this that do it just to harass the author. I don't mind flames, I've had plenty before too, but this one was just really offensive. Thanks to everyone that's responded to my question, by the way, I appreciate that you've taken the time to try and answer it for me!
+Quote Post
Szaranea
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Nov 30 2004, 04:21 AM
Post #10

one of the two riders of the modly apocalypse
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,471
Hi! Call me Ri or Anna. :)

Hey, there's always idiots. I once had an (anonymous) reviewer telling me how my story sucked on so many levels, and the best they could come up with to offend me is to mention the fact that I happen to live in Austria rolleyes.gif

Ignore 'em

Ri
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff