>
IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff

Welcome Guest ( Log In |

> IMPORTANT:

Fanfic FAQs. Portkey.org forum's still temp offline. We've displayed these FAQs to assist some with their questions.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to put story links in the application box?, What to do if fic hasn't been posted anywhere yet?
Draco and Ginny 1092
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."
You might need to scroll up a few lines to read this complete advisory.

-- gal-texter on behalf of Portkey.org staff

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post May 1 2004, 08:42 AM
Post #1

I'm behind the bike sheds at school with Daniel Radcliffe

Group: Member
Member No.: 5,228
Hi! Call me Imogen. :)

MOD NOTE:

BE SURE TO READ:

What should you type inside the application box? Please read parts III-C-2 and IIIC-C-3 of this post

and this! <-- This elaborates on the URLs we need.

-gal-texter

ORIGINAL POST CONTENTS:

How to put story links in the application box?

does anyone know how to do that? if so, please can you tell me?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Thieving Magpie
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post May 1 2004, 10:06 AM
Post #2

Your opinion of me weighs less than sunlight.
Group Icon

Group: Guarding the Muggle Minister
Member No.: 49

Let's say your fic is hosted on Fanfiction.net. While NOT logged in, go the webpage for your first chapter, highlight the link in your browser's address bar, right click > copy then paste the link into the application form.

Harry's Baby must have seen this reply, as she already knows how to copy and paste story URLs. I'm merging this and her question with the Author FAQs thread. ~gal-texter 6May
+Quote Post
brainsandbrawns101
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Dec 31 2005, 07:51 PM
Post #3

"Kyrbi"

Member No.: 8,079
Hi! Call me Rachel. :)

MOD NOTE: merging this with a related thread.
~gal-texter / Pen Jun2008

What if I haven't posted my fanfic anywhere yet?

On registering for being an author i had to submit a URL for a sample story. I did but the only stories I have is on the HP message boards. I'm not sure how to start a fanfic on fanfiction.net and also I can'tpost until Jan 2 cause I just registered

Help.. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
S.P.E.W.
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jan 1 2006, 02:35 PM
Post #4

PKWizard/Witch
Group Icon

Group: Guarding the Muggle Minister
Member No.: 9,241

Right then.....

In your situation, by far the simplest thing to do is to email your sample story to us at [email protected] You can simply put your sample story in the actual email (the message body).

When you submit your application, make sure you tell us in the application text box that you have submitted your sample via email, and also make sure that your subject heading in the email says " [your pen name]'s author application".

Good Luck!
+Quote Post
Angel 737
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Feb 2 2007, 11:28 AM
Post #5

ickle firstie

Member No.: 18,972

MOD NOTE: merging this with a related thread.
~gal-texter / Pen Jun2008

I want to become an author and I have a story written just not posted anywhere. Can I just send the first chapter to become an author or does it have to be 3000 words?
+Quote Post
Adam
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Feb 2 2007, 11:40 PM
Post #6

Head of Fanfiction/Forum Admin
Group Icon

Group: Staff (admins c)
Member No.: 806
Hi! Call me Adam. :)

SMUT! Click if you're an adult PK oldbie!
Read our feature on author HARRYS MISTRESS!

Instructions on applying to become an author can be found in my signature.

Adam, Portkey.Org Fic Mod Team.

Mod Teammate's Note: Adam's sig has since been changed. But the instructions may be found here.
-gal-texter Jun 2008
+Quote Post
Angel 737
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Feb 3 2007, 02:38 AM
Post #7

ickle firstie

Thanks but I'm still a little confused. What do I type in the little box thing at the submit author application? When I send them the fic does it have to be 3000 words?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense. blush.gif
+Quote Post
Adam
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Feb 5 2007, 09:36 AM
Post #8

Head of Fanfiction/Forum Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 806
Hi! Call me Adam. :)

Please do NOT type your fic in that little box, whatever you do!!

In that box, you put either your link to your fic, or you tell us that you have mailed the fic to [email protected] and then send the mail with your FANFICTION username as the header / subject.

Yes, your sample (or samples) must have 3,000 words or more combined.

Adam, Portkey.Org Fic Mod Team.

Mod Teammate's Note: Email address has since reverted to [email protected] Please check out this Fanfic FAQs thread for updated procedures. Part III-E here explains why applicants shouldn't type their stories onto the box.

-gal-texter Jun 2008
+Quote Post
Angel 737
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Feb 5 2007, 07:49 PM
Post #9

ickle firstie

Ok! Thank you so much for your help! biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
gal-texter
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jul 28 2008, 07:02 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,281
Hi! Call me Pen. :)

RELATED TOPIC: How to apply for a Portkey author license. <-- Parts III-C-2 and III-C-3 contain screencaps to the application box (e-form). The left side of the box says:

DO NOT:
Paste in part or all of your story. You must provide links.

"Links" means URLs. Uniform Resource Locator, the entire web address that begins with http: //. To this day, we get a few applications that have the stories pasted in that box. There's an explanation below the above-linked screencaps as to why we quickly reject those applications without even reading them.

Another point I'd like to reiterate:

QUOTE(gal-texter @ May 28 2008, 11:42 PM) *

-- Please give us the direct URLs to your fics. The sooner we locate them, the quicker your application will be processed. We will instantly reject your application if it takes us more than a few clicks to locate your story. This is so we could process other applications in the queue.

-- Mods will reject applications with URLs that require us to log in. That means we will not accept applications that link us to a YahooGroup.

Applicants must understand that Portkey mods process applications on their volunteer time and that there are other applications and tasks queued up. Each author application can take hours or days to evaluate. Fic mods can't spare the time to search for the story or register in the site where it's hosted.

I had written rejection notices that went along these lines:

Do give a direct link to publicly viewable pages of your Portkey-COMPLIANT stories.

For samples already posted in fanfiction.net, make sure the links you give follow this format for specific stories:
CODE
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/xxxxx/1/Story_Title

(the xxxxxx represents your story's ID number)

OR this format for your author profile:
CODE
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/nnnnnn/yyyyyyy

The nnnnnnn represents your user ID number and the yyyy your fanfiction.net pen name. If you choose to link us to your author profile, be sure to type (in Portkey's application box) the specific story titles that you feel best meets our criteria. Indicate any iffy scenes to help shorten your waiting time.

To get those publicly accessible URLs particularly for the stories, go to your fanfiction.net profile WITHOUT logging in, open your sample's first chapter, then copy its URL as it appears on your browser's address bar. Again, make sure that the URL follows the format I've shown above, NOT something similar to below:

CODE
http://www.fanfiction.net/secure/live_preview.php?storyid=xxxxxx&chapter=1

For samples already posted in harrypotterfanfiction.net, do ensure the links you give follow this format for specific stories:

CODE
http://www.harrypotterfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?psid=xxxxx

The xxxxxx represents your story's ID number.

OR this format for your author profile (permanent URL):

CODE
http://www.harrypotterfanfiction.com/viewuser.php?showuid=nnnnn

The nnnnnnn represents your user ID number. If you choose to link us to your author profile, be sure to type (in Portkey's application box) the specific story titles that you feel best meets our criteria. Indicate any iffy scenes to help shorten your waiting time.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff