>
IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff

Welcome Guest ( Log In |

> IMPORTANT:

Fanfic FAQs. Portkey.org forum's still temp offline. We've displayed these FAQs to assist some with their questions.

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PK fanfics shipping rules
Gryffindor-Sword
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."
You might need to scroll up a few lines to read this complete advisory.

-- gal-texter on behalf of Portkey.org staff

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Sep 29 2005, 12:59 PM
Post #11

Canoneer of the HMS Harmony

Group: Member
Member No.: 9,388
Hi! Call me Jason. :)

MOD NOTE: merging this into a related thread.
~gal-texter / Pen May2008

Fic series - H/H get together in sequel but not in first fic

QUOTE(PK hosting rules)
Ships contained in the Fanfiction:
The submitted Fanfiction must fall into one of four categories:
A. Harry/Hermione ( * )
B. Lily/James ( * )
C. Draco/Ginny
D. Ron/Luna
( * ) The star next to a ship indicates a ship that may not be broken in any stories. This means that this ship cannot be broken, even if the story isn't classified in that ship. So in Draco/Ginny fanfictions a romantic pairing between Ron/Hermione may not occur. Ships marked with a star will not be contradicted in any stories, and graphical scenes between characters that contradict a ship listed above are not accepted. This means that graphical scenes between Ron/Hermione may not occur as it contradicts Harry/Hermione. Graphical scenes between characters that do not contradict a ship with a star next to it are acceptable.

I'm a bit confused about the rules. I know that the the ones with an * can't be broken, but must the fic end with the pairing or can we leave it open until the sequel. I have two fics I want to post but my first one doesn't end as H/Hr, but I don't want the romance to get serious until the sequel. I just need clairification on the rules before I start posting.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
PhoenixWriter
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Oct 4 2005, 08:10 AM
Post #12

Oracle said: You'll be blamed
Group Icon

Group: Guarding the Muggle Minister
Member No.: 926
Hi! Call me Diana. :)

At Portkey were in the past posted stories which didn't end H/Hr, yet it was clear there are hints and clues that H/Hr are more than platonic so readers know later in a sequel they'll be together.

I mean here are stories posted where either Harry or Hermione die too. So, don't worry, if something is wrong a Mod will contact you.
+Quote Post
NAPPA
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Oct 9 2005, 02:42 AM
Post #13

* being generally evil *
Group Icon

Group: Staff (admins c)
Member No.: 1
Hi! Call me Imran. :)

Props to my beta(s): James!

Just wanted to confirm what PhoenixWriter said. We do allow fics like the one you mentioned to be posted. smile.gif

NAPPA
+Quote Post
LIL KST
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jun 19 2006, 10:17 AM
Post #14

ickle firstie

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,846
Hi! Call me Priscilla. :)

D/G fic with a little H/G

About the ships:

I'll give you the gist of it. Ginny espaces from the clutches of Voldemort and has to change her identity. I only mention a few times that she was with Harry before it happened. The actual ship is Draco/Ginny. Is it fine to have a little mention of that part with Harry and Ginny, or no? If it's not, then I can change it before submitting, but I just want to make sure.
+Quote Post
Hermione's Twin
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jun 19 2006, 03:15 PM
Post #15

Happily delusional writer
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,472
Hi! Call me Jennifer. :)

QUOTE(LIL KST)
I'll give you the gist of it. Ginny espaces from the clutches of Voldemort and has to change her identity. I only mention a few times that she was with Harry before it happened. The actual ship is Draco/Ginny. Is it fine to have a little mention of that part with Harry and Ginny, or no? If it's not, then I can change it before submitting, but I just want to make sure.

I take it that H/G won't be the final pairing, correct? If that's the case, then there shouldn't be any problem with you posting it. And hey, if you...oh...mentioned that Harry had moved on with Hermione, that would definitely make it an allowed fic. The shipping rule in fics clearly states that H/Hr and L/J cannot be broken...that is to say, fics cannot end with pairings that suggest otherwise for the four characters. Does that answer your question?

Jennifer
+Quote Post
LIL KST
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jun 19 2006, 04:47 PM
Post #16

ickle firstie

Member No.: 13,846
Hi! Call me Priscilla. :)

QUOTE(Hermione's Twin @ Jun 19 2006, 03:15 PM) *
Does that answer your question?

Jennifer

Yes it does, thank you.
+Quote Post
mrrlyn
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jun 24 2006, 09:16 AM
Post #17

ickle firstie

Member No.: 15,121

Can you post a H/Hr/G story here?

I know that Portkey is primarly h/hr... But can you post a h/hr/g story there as well? I have been search for an answer for this for 2 days with no luck.
+Quote Post
Another
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jun 26 2006, 06:04 PM
Post #18

As long as it's shiny
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,667
Hi! Call me Jonathan. :)

While we understand that the Portkey rules are in some need of updating and clarification of some of the more common questions, if you stay in line with the spirit of those rules, you're almost assuredly not going to have any problems.

As for H/Hr/G? I don't know whether your mean a love triangle or some kind of threesome, but anything that isn't H/Hr (just think about it for a second) has restrictions on it. You could have it, but it must not be graphic or emphasized and it must dissolve into H/Hr by the story's end. Ultimately, Portkey's opinion of the story rests in the hands of the Ficmod team.

Hope that answers your question,
~Jonathan
+Quote Post
Bowles
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jul 3 2008, 10:26 PM
Post #19

The Delusional Dark Lord Himself

Group: Member
Member No.: 8,930

Clarify rules that "Portkey fanfic must end with its main ship being together"
and that "Harry/Hermione or Lily/James must not be broken"

Excuse me, but I've seen a lot of confusion over the "Harry/Hermione must end up together" rule. But ending up together, what exactly do you mean? Taking this rule as many others have taken it, that would imply that it is unacceptable to write any fic that takes place in the canon timeline, as Harry and Hermione would not end up together at the end, even if it's a one-shot that demonstrates their love for each other. And does this mean that we're not allowed to write a story that takes place between the end of DH and the epilogue, for the same reasons, even if it's clearly Harry/Hermione? I'm sorry, but it seems like the events in canon since that rule was posted make clarification necessary.

Thanks,
Bowles
+Quote Post
poppy
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jul 5 2008, 03:45 AM
Post #20

Willow. Portkey Fic Mod/Admin
Group Icon

Group: Staff (admins a)
Member No.: 6,211
Hi! Call me Lisa. :)

QUOTE(Bowles @ Jul 4 2008, 07:26 AM) *

Excuse me, but I've seen a lot of confusion over the "Harry/Hermione must end up together" rule. But ending up together, what exactly do you mean? Taking this rule as many others have taken it, that would imply that it is unacceptable to write any fic that takes place in the canon timeline, as Harry and Hermione would not end up together at the end, even if it's a one-shot that demonstrates their love for each other. And does this mean that we're not allowed to write a story that takes place between the end of DH and the epilogue, for the same reasons, even if it's clearly Harry/Hermione? I'm sorry, but it seems like the events in canon since that rule was posted make clarification necessary.

Thanks,
Bowles

The rules state,

The fanfiction must end with the category it has been entered into romantically involved together. Our moderators will not approve your application and will delete any fanfiction uploaded if the portion of it completed so far does not suggest one of these pairings will end up together. All pairings (excluding pairings that we forbid) are welcome in your fanfiction, but the fanfiction must contain a reasonable portion of the category you involved in within the ship. Should one of the characters or both of the characters be killed off during or at the end of the fanfiction, we can accept that. It makes good angst. However, the story cannot focus around the theme of one or the other moving on.

You would not believe the amount of people who apply to Portkey with stories without the correct pairings in them, stories that end with Harry and Ginny being together etc. All this rule means is that your story has to end in the category you enter it in. So if it`s H/Hr then it must end with H/Hr being romantically involved together.

People come to Portkey to read the ship they like and expect a story to end in the ship they want. Don`t get me wrong though as I`m not saying that every story should have a happy, fluffy ending, that`s not realistic and lets face it in the real world everything isn`t always happy and cheerful. However the story must end with for example H/Hr getting together/being together or being involved romantically with each other in some way that leaves the reader in no doubt that they love each other. It is against our rules to leave the story where the pairing goes against our rules, for example ending a H/Hr story with H/G still being together. There are exceptions to this rule however, such as stories that are going to have a sequel, but those type of stories really need to be run past a mod first and they must not imply for example, that Harry is moving on from Hermione to Ginny or that Harry and Hermione don`t love each other.

Hope this helps a little. smile.gif
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff