>
IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff

Welcome Guest ( Log In |

> IMPORTANT:

Fanfic FAQs. Portkey.org forum's still temp offline. We've displayed these FAQs to assist some with their questions.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Changing account info for PK's fanfic side?, usernames, email addys, bios
MDiezeL
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."
You might need to scroll up a few lines to read this complete advisory.

-- gal-texter on behalf of Portkey.org staff

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Apr 6 2004, 07:32 PM
Post #1

Simple Minded

Group: Member
Member No.: 3,484

I've betaed for Feron.
Props to my beta(s): Michelle, SheWhoHathAPen, MushyPeas!

Related questions: Check or change email address for fanfiction accounts
Add a bio to (or edit the bio on) our fanfiction profile pages

PK Author Names changed?

Agh, I'm a bit out of it so I'm not sure about this, but I could have sworn an author who's submitted a lot of work in PK had undergone a name change. Has this been possible for awhile now or is this something new? Or should I lay off the meds a lil bit now that I'm imagining things? huh.gif

MOD NOTE:

SHORT ANSWER: Yes, our techies James and NAPPA could change user names for our fanfiction.portkey.org accounts (not the forum accounts). BUT they would generally only do this for authors who have a pretty valid reason for requesting the change. Please do not alter account names on a whim.

To change user names for our forum accounts, read this thread.

EDIT APR 2009: Both James and NAPPA have been far less active in Portkey now due to their busy real lives. So if you could not wait for them to change your fanfic usernames, the faster remedy would be for you to register for a new fanfic account. Info about your old account (e.g., Portkey review points, stories uploaded, reviews received) could NOT be transferred into your new one. I'd post more about this later. - gal-texter

To quote what NAPPA had said in an Aug2004 thread:
However, note that only authors will be allowed to change their names in that section of the site. We do advice author not to do it - as people often have a reputation as a good author in one name, changing means having to regather the people who knew you.

They have changed user names in these cases:
-- to correct typos in the names;
-- to make the author account a joint one, when the story was initially uploaded in a new author's name but was actually co-written with another (already approved) PK author.

~gal-texter/Pen May2008
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Anazecria
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Apr 6 2004, 07:44 PM
Post #2

Official HMS Pumpkin Pie Librarian (Keeper of Quotes)
Group Icon

Group: Guarding the Muggle Minister
From: Gutter City Town Mayor's Office aka Sydney, Australia
Member No.: 1,445
Hi! Call me Nielle. :)

Diezel, I'm not sure who you're talking about specifically, but I do know that the Author formerly known as Sarcastic Dragonette is now Nousia. Same goes for Tistytosty, who is now Scrivenshaft. It has been possible to change your name for awhile, but I believe you have to ask NAPPA to change it for you. It's not a big deal, but it's not done very often.

Nielle
+Quote Post
gal-texter
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Apr 6 2004, 08:35 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Staff (admins c)
Member No.: 1,281
Hi! Call me Pen. :)

SMUT! Click if you're an adult PK oldbie!
Read our feature on author HARRYS MISTRESS!

Nah, you weren't imagining things, MD. As Nielle has explained, when these 2 authors found out it was possible to change their account names for the forums and the fanfic side, they requested for said changes. biggrin.gif

EDIT Apr 7 2004: Per Nappa's PM to me on Mar 30:

we'll be moving to a more namebased system soon. Authors will ALSO get a URL like fanfiction.portkey.org/author/[author's name] ... So changes to the name in the future might ... [lead to fans losing track of their favorite authors]. But we will link authors' through their member number [in PK's fanfic side] - which is kept constant.

~NAPPA

Nah, you weren't imagining things, MD. As Nielle has explained, when these 2 authors found out it was possible to change their account names for the forums and the fanfic side, they requested for said changes. biggrin.gif

There was once a "Member Name" field in our forum profiles that allowed us to change our forum names. I tried it, couldn't come up with a name, so I reverted to my old one. I suppose that field lasted for only a few days or hours -- I saw only one other member mention changing her name. This was back in Oct 2003.

ANOTHER EDIT Aug 5 2004:
Copying another PK-er's observation here:

QUOTE (member obsessedharryfan/HB)
Now there's a new way of changing usernames (that is, if it wasn't like that before)
In your Control Panel, there is a new option, called "Request a Username Change".

QUOTE (Admin NAPPA)
The change USERNAME option isn't automated - I or James or Heaven will need to do it. That is just a form that lets me and James know that you guys requested a name change. And why you want to do that. In most cases within 24 hours, it will be done.

Use that form for your fanfiction section author name as well - However, note that only authors will be allowed to change their names in that section of the site. We do advice author not to do it - as people often have a reputation as a good author in one name, changing means having to regather the people who knew you.

WORTHLESS TRIVIA: There was once a "Member Name" field in our forum profiles that allowed us to change our forum names. I tried it, couldn't come up with a name, so I reverted to my old one. I suppose that field lasted for only a few days or hours -- I saw only one other member mention changing her name. This was back in Oct 2003.[/end worthless trivia]

This post has been edited by gal-texter: Aug 16 2004, 04:20 AM
+Quote Post
Scrivenshaft
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Apr 7 2004, 03:43 AM
Post #4

Forum and Fanfiction Moderator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,748
Hi! Call me Rachael. :)

Yeah, sorry - I am the former Tistytosty and I wrote Falling Down to Come Back Up and Sympathy for the Redhead.

Nousia was formerly Sarcastic Dragonette and all her stuff is here.

Thanks!

Scriv
+Quote Post
Nousia
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Apr 7 2004, 07:06 AM
Post #5

Resident Drama Geek
Group Icon

Member No.: 246
Hi! Call me Nitya. :)

MDiezeL - I'm not sure which author you're talking about, but yes, Rach (Scrivenshaft) and I changed our names. Sorry for the confusion. Nielle and Pen have already explained it wonderfully, so might as well save me confusing you.

Rach: Thanks for linking, but you didn't have to. blush.gif
+Quote Post
Ginny Malfoy
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Apr 16 2005, 09:19 AM
Post #6

ickle firstie

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,273
Hi! Call me Emma. :)

How can I change my email address on my Portkey fic account?
+Quote Post
gal-texter
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Apr 17 2005, 07:20 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

Hi Ginny Malfoy,

Log in http://users.portkey.org. Hit the "User Preferences" link on the top left panel. You'll see the "email address" field.

To other PK-ers, this is also how you can check if your email address. E.g., to check if it was correctly spelled or if it's the same one through which you'd like to receive email alerts or notices of your author application.

+Quote Post
Hobbes
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Feb 28 2007, 08:30 PM
Post #8

Say no to this face.

From: In that happy place in my head where all my ships come true
Member No.: 14,918
Hi! Call me Qualyn. :)

MOD NOTE: merging this into a related thread. I've posted the answer to this question two posts down.
~gal-texter / Pen May2008

How to add a bio to (or edit the bio on) our fanfic profile pages?

Can you add a bio to your fanfiction side profile after you've created it?

+Quote Post
Glassesfreak206
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Apr 13 2007, 06:53 PM
Post #9

determined to call her bluff

Member No.: 8,598

QUOTE(Hobbes @ Feb 28 2007, 09:30 PM) *

Can you add a bio to your fanfiction side profile after you've created it?

Side profile? The only bio you can fill out that I am aware of is the space on your profile, above fics. You do not need to write fanfiction to write on this.
+Quote Post
gal-texter
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post May 29 2008, 06:37 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

*digs up this thread*

Just wanted to add the procedures:

1. Log in http://users.portkey.org

2. On the top left of the screen, hit User Panel > User Preferences.

3. Edit the About/Biography field.

As Glassesfreak206 noted above, you do not need to upload a story to do this. Any registered user (in the fanfiction side) can do it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff