>
IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff

Welcome Guest ( Log In |

> IMPORTANT:

Fanfic FAQs. Portkey.org forum's still temp offline. We've displayed these FAQs to assist some with their questions.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HOW TO: mark a story as 'completed'?, + Why doesn't PK delete abandoned stories?
kaoticcutie
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."
You might need to scroll up a few lines to read this complete advisory.

-- gal-texter on behalf of Portkey.org staff

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Nov 9 2004, 01:27 AM
Post #1

ickle firstie

Group: Member
Member No.: 6,862
Hi! Call me Torrey. :)

Marking a story as "completed"

Hi im new here and i was wondering how I get my work to show as completed. If you could email me back that would be super! Thanks!

-Torrey

[email protected] thumbsup.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Anazecria
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Nov 9 2004, 02:15 AM
Post #2

Official HMS Pumpkin Pie Librarian (Keeper of Quotes)
Group Icon

Group: Guarding the Muggle Minister
From: Gutter City Town Mayor's Office aka Sydney, Australia
Member No.: 1,445
Hi! Call me Nielle. :)

Go to your User CP, select "Story Edit/Upload" then, "Edit Properties" of the story you're after. You will see a series of drop-down menus. Go to the one labelled "Status" and select "Completed". Then "Save Changes" and you're done. smile.gif

Nielle, smile.gif
+Quote Post
kaoticcutie
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Nov 9 2004, 01:03 PM
Post #3

ickle firstie

Mod Note: Member opened this topic in two different sections. Merged 2nd thread with the original topic. Original title of this thread was I NEED HELP!!!. ~Anazecria/Nielle

thumbup.gif Hi Im new here and I recently wrote a one-shot fic and Im not sure how to make it say completed. i dont want people thinking that there is going to be more when there isnt. pelase reply and help me out with this. thanks so much!!

-Torrey

This post has been edited by Anazecria: Nov 9 2004, 09:17 PM
+Quote Post
Ankh
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Nov 9 2004, 02:39 PM
Post #4

Caffienne Bitter

Member No.: 5,201

Okay,

Go to the author control panel.

Click on story 'edit/upload' in the sidebar.

Find the story you want and click 'edit properties'

Change the drop-down menu to completed

Click save changes.

Hopefully that'll work.
+Quote Post
kaoticcutie
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Nov 9 2004, 10:41 PM
Post #5

ickle firstie

QUOTE (Anazecria @ Nov 9 2004, 10:15 AM)
Go to your User CP, select "Story Edit/Upload" then, "Edit Properties" of the story you're after. You will see a series of drop-down menus. Go to the one labelled "Status" and select "Completed". Then "Save Changes" and you're done. smile.gif

Nielle, smile.gif

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! ::bows to you::
+Quote Post
radcliffeluvslave
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jul 28 2005, 07:41 AM
Post #6

ickle firstie

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,453
Hi! Call me Janine. :)

MOD NOTE: merging this into a similar thread.
~gal-texter / Pen May2008

How do I make it so that my story is Complete instead of In Progress?
+Quote Post
Sundari Harmony
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jul 28 2005, 05:22 PM
Post #7

Mindless and Careless
Group Icon

Group: Staff (moderators)
Member No.: 5,715
Hi! Call me Sue. :)

Go in to your control panel in the fanfiction side, go to "Story Edit/Upload" along the side panel under "Author Options". Click on the pencil button next to the story you want to fix. It'll take you to the information about the story. Just click the drop down box where it says "Status," change it to "Completed" and press save changes! ^__^
+Quote Post
Bobmin357
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Aug 25 2006, 04:05 PM
Post #8

ickle firstie

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336
Hi! Call me Bob. :)

Why aren't abandoned fics pruned / deleted from the archive?

I know that the folks that run archives like to claim "we have NNNNN stories" in our archive, but some of these files aren't stories. There are hundreds of one chapter abandoned files which haven't been touched in years on portkey.

Now to be honest portkey isn't the only archive guilty of this. What I don't understand is why these archives aren't occasionally pruned. If a file isn't marked as complete and is older than X months and hasn't seen an update in that time. Delete it.

Its really annoying to find so many promising stories that are incomplete and probably never will be because the 'author' was unable to commit to the effort of finishing the story.

SuperAngry.gif
+Quote Post
Thieving Magpie
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Aug 28 2006, 02:54 AM
Post #9

Your opinion of me weighs less than sunlight.
Group Icon

Group: Guarding the Muggle Minister
Member No.: 49

I actually don't think we ever glorified ourselves by using a phrase like "we have NNNNN stories", but I admit that's what it might look like to the casual observer.

A less hostile aproach to the problem of unfinished fics would be to label them as "abandoned" after a certain time period of not being updated. In that case you could easily provide a mechanism to filter out these kind of fics. And if an author finally decides to update the fic he/she wouldn't have to upload the whole thing again.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff