>
IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff

Welcome Guest ( Log In |

> IMPORTANT:

Fanfic FAQs. Portkey.org forum's still temp offline. We've displayed these FAQs to assist some with their questions.

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HOW TO: edit stories w/o losing its reviews? + Missing chapters?, Safely edit chaps, repost missing chaps, restore stats of hits/reviews
Aaran St Vines
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."
You might need to scroll up a few lines to read this complete advisory.

-- gal-texter on behalf of Portkey.org staff

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Mar 10 2006, 06:18 AM
Post #11

ickle firstie

Group: Member
Member No.: 12,567

MOD NOTE: merging this into a related thread.
~gal-texter / Pen May2008

Once a story chapter is posted, is there anyway to edit it without deleting it and starting all over?

I don't get tons of reviews, but I realize I made a glaring error in my latest post that I'd love to correct. The only way I can see to make the corrections is to delete the whole chapter and lose the reviews, then repost.

Thanks for your help,

Aaran St Vines
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wetback
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Mar 13 2006, 07:24 PM
Post #12

ickle firstie

Member No.: 8,047

QUOTE(Aaran St Vines @ Mar 10 2006, 02:18 PM) *

Once a story chapter is posted, is there anyway to edit it without deleting it and starting all over?

I don't get tons of reviews, but I realize I made a glaring error in my latest post that I'd love to correct. The only way I can see to make the corrections is to delete the whole chapter and lose the reviews, then repost.

Thanks for your help,

Aaran St Vines

Yes, you can update a chapter by:

1 - in your control panel click on "Story Edit / Upload"
2 - click "Upload Chapter" for the story in question
3 - in the pull-down box, instead of selecting "[New] Chapter X" select ther chapter in question "[Exists] Chapter N"
4 - enter the chapter name
5 - enter/browse for the document WITH the changes

And you're done. The reviews stay intact and the chapter is updated.
+Quote Post
gal-texter
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post May 29 2008, 06:17 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

Group: Staff (admins c)
Member No.: 1,281
Hi! Call me Pen. :)

SMUT! Click if you're an adult PK oldbie!
Read our feature on author HARRYS MISTRESS!

Copying these explanations that are included in the automated emails sent to an applicant when a fic mod approves their author application:

In order to replace a chapter you *must* do the following:

1. Login to the Control Panel

2. Click on Story Edit/Upload chapter from the control panel

3. Go to Upload Chapter

4. Click the drop down menu that has the list of chapters.

5. Fill in the rest of the information as you do with a normal upload.

6. Press upload. Verify.

7. All done.

Using this option will not make you lose your reviews. It also will not make the story appear on the "New/Updated" page, or send emailed chapter alerts about the story.

I've paraphrased the last paragraph. wink.gif
+Quote Post
snoopy_pie
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jun 5 2008, 09:03 PM
Post #14

H/Hr: Friends... Lovers... for all time
Group Icon

Group: Guarding the Muggle Minister
Member No.: 9,078
Hi! Call me Manda. :)

Dear heavens! LOL I have been an author for well over a year now and I didn't realize you could edit your chapters!!!

*hits self on head*

Thanks so much Pen lol I never would have realized it wacko.gif laugh.gif
+Quote Post
SHOULDBEHHR
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jul 3 2008, 05:41 PM
Post #15

IT WAS THERE!

Member No.: 22,330

Would the reviews be affected when editing the story's summary or other properties?

Hey Gal-Texter,

Got a new question for you. If I replace my present story summary with a new one do I lose my reviews or anything like that? I wouldn't think so but I'd rather be sure.
Thanks as always,
ShouldbeHHR
+Quote Post
gal-texter
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jul 3 2008, 05:55 PM
Post #16

Group Icon

You're correct in thinking that it's safe to change your story summary. It won't affect the reviews. smile.gif Changing the other story properties like story title or chapter title won't affect the reviews either.

+Quote Post
SHOULDBEHHR
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jul 4 2008, 03:38 PM
Post #17

IT WAS THERE!

Member No.: 22,330

QUOTE(gal-texter @ Jul 3 2008, 09:55 PM) *

You're correct in thinking that it's safe to change your story summary. It won't affect the reviews. smile.gif Changing the other story properties like story title or chapter title won't affect the reviews either.

Thanks as always, ShouldbeHHR smile.gif
+Quote Post
gti88
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Dec 31 2008, 08:31 AM
Post #18

Delusional to the bone

Member No.: 6,192
Hi! Call me George. :)

Missing chapter + discrepancy in chapter stats for reviews and hits

Hey guys,

Just wanted to give you a heads up about the statistics page of the fanfic side of the site...recently I've noted that some chapters I had uploaded long ago, are missing...the reviews for them are still there...

Also, for one of my fics, there's a discrepancy between the number of reviews that the stats say I have, and the actual number there are...

Not sure if it's an issue with the code, or maybe it's just routine maintenance...can you guys gimme a shout on what it might be?

Thank you in advance.
+Quote Post
gal-texter
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jan 3 2009, 04:31 AM
Post #19

Group Icon

Can you give us the URL to the story and the missing chapter numbers?

As for the reviews, did you mean that the numbers in your control panel (users.portkey.org) don't match with the numbers shown in fanfiction.portkey.org pages? Can you give us that story's ID # too and the chapter numbers for those mismatched numbers?

You can post the info here or PM them to me, so that I can take a look through the fic admin control panel. The story ID number/s would really be helpful.
+Quote Post
gti88
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jan 6 2009, 08:14 PM
Post #20

Delusional to the bone

Member No.: 6,192
Hi! Call me George. :)

PMed you with the details around that...smile.gif

Thank you!
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff