>
IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff

Welcome Guest ( Log In |

> IMPORTANT:

Fanfic FAQs. Portkey.org forum's still temp offline. We've displayed these FAQs to assist some with their questions.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How long does it take to process an author application?, How to know if application's pending, OK'd or declined?
JamesLupinBlack
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."
You might need to scroll up a few lines to read this complete advisory.

-- gal-texter on behalf of Portkey.org staff

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Oct 31 2003, 06:17 AM
Post #1

ickle firstie

Group: Member
Member No.: 3,304
Hi! Call me Sean. :)

How will I know whether my author application was approved or not?

Can anyone tell me where i should look for my fic? I sent in my writers application, but now what do I do? will i get a pm or something? Can anyone help me?

ps, i'm not sure this is in the right forum, whistling.gif and if i'm breaking some rule i'm sorry but i didn't know where else to go. blush.gif

NOTE: Might as well attach this in here. This originally came from the "Polishing The Quill" and "Administration" forums. ~gal-texter 28Nov2003
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
gal-texter
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Oct 31 2003, 10:03 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Staff (admins c)
Member No.: 1,281
Hi! Call me Pen. :)

SMUT! Click if you're an adult PK oldbie!
Read our feature on author HARRYS MISTRESS!

RELATED THREAD HERE.

Hi. We currently have several progress indicators for author applications.

• PENDING APPLICATION

Please check the following, whether you are applying for the first time or not.

1. Make sure that you see this message **You already have an application pending. You will receive an e-mail when this application has been resolved." **

when you do the following steps:
    a. log on to users.portkey.org
    b. click the User Panel > Submit Author Application link.

** This message signifies that Fic Mods have received your application form. That is, they see your application in their Control Panel, as explained in part Part III-E here.

If you do not see that "application pending" message, then redo the steps explained here ("III. Submit an electronic application form for a Portkey author account ...") and possibly the ones before that.

• ACCEPTED APPLICANT

-- will see an Author Options menu when they log in http://users.portkey.org. This is the most important indicator because it's what allows you to upload and edit stories or chapters.

Click the following screenshot to magnify it:

Attached Image

-- will no longer see the User Panel > Submit Author Application link shown in part III-B here.

-- will each get an email saying that their application was approved.
    The email gets auto-generated when a Fic Mod hits "Approve Application" in their Mod control panel. It will be sent to the applicants' respective addresses at the time the Fic Mod does this action.

-- will see the fields "Author Picture" and "My Stories" when they view their profiles in the Fanfic Side. The line "This user is not a portkey.org author" will no longer be displayed.

-- Once the Author Options menu appears, authors may upload stories as explained here. We trust authors to ensure that all stories or chapters they upload comply with our rules.

Btw, we invite successful applicants to participate in this survey. smile.gif)

• DENIED APPLICANT

--will get an email saying that their application was denied at this time.

-- will no longer see the message "You already have an application pending. You will receive an e-mail when this application has been resolved." when they click on User Panel > Submit Author Application. Instead, they'll again see the application form screencapped in part III-C here.
We ask for all applicants' patience. See, Fic Mods have to process applications on their spare time.

[*]EMAIL NOTICE OF ACCEPTED OR REJECTED APPLICATION

When fic mods approve or reject author applications, their comments get sent from a @portkey.org email address. Better make a filter for this to ensure it doesn't end up in your spam or bulk mail folders. Sometimes mods use their personal email accounts to get in touch with you. In that case, they'd usually put Portkey in the subject line and/or in the message body, so you applicants might want to make filters for that as well.
+Quote Post
JamesLupinBlack
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Nov 1 2003, 04:35 AM
Post #3

ickle firstie

Group: Member
Member No.: 3,304
Hi! Call me Sean. :)

thank you so much. I really wasn't sure what i was looking for.
+Quote Post
Capn
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Dec 4 2003, 07:53 PM
Post #4

Unregistered

I'm not in a rush or anything, but I just wanted to know approximately how long it would take to find out if we were accepted to be authors here. Also, I wanted to see if my application went through. Aaand, what kind of things do you look for when reading through a sample story from the application?

Just wanted to add my "Thank you"
+Quote Post
gal-texter
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Dec 5 2003, 06:59 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,281
Hi! Call me Pen. :)

SMUT! Click if you're an adult PK oldbie!
Read our feature on author HARRYS MISTRESS!

Answers to Capn's questions:

How long do author applications get processed?

italics: my edits in Jan 2009

I'd say give us at least 2 weeks, although fic mods do their best to process it sooner. Check your fanfic account for the status indicators listed previously.

Everyone must assume that Portkey mods can only do their tasks on weekends. Hence, a "response day" roughly equals a calendar week. If it takes mods two weeks to resolve your application, then count that as two response days.

The following's my original reply to Capn's questions. They're still valid.

We cannot give a time frame for this. It all depends on the Fanfic Moderators' schedules. They have to read the sample fics on their spare time.

It could be hours, days, or weeks. Say, if a Fanfic Mod sees a story that s/he has been reading in another site, then s/he can tell right away if it complies with the hosting criteria. If it does, the application can be approved within hours.

What do Fanfic Mods look for in the sample stories?

At the very least, compliance with the Hosting Criteria, which are in the "Terms of Service" link in users.portkey.org. Said criteria may be subject to major or minor changes anytime.

Congratulations, Capn, I've just seen your fic in the "New / Updated Fics" page!
+Quote Post
moogle
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Mar 18 2006, 11:44 PM
Post #6

Hopeless Romantic
Group Icon

Group: Guarding the Muggle Minister
Member No.: 7,050
Hi! Call me Kim. :)

MOD NOTE: merging this into a related thread.
~gal-texter / Pen May2008

When do you get told whether you have been accepted to become an author?
+Quote Post
Thieving Magpie
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Mar 19 2006, 07:11 AM
Post #7

Your opinion of me weighs less than sunlight.
Group Icon

Member No.: 49

QUOTE(moogle @ Mar 19 2006, 08:44 AM) *

When do you get told whether you have been accepted to become an author?

That depends on the size of the author application queue. If there are lots of new applications it usually takes a bit longer. It also depends on the schedules of the fanfiction moderators. If many of them are busy with real life issues it might take even longer. Sometimes it takes only hours, especially when a moderator happens to already know your work, other times it might take weeks. You have to keep in mind that all this work is done on a voluntary basis. Portkey can't and will never force its moderators to work faster since that is kind of counter productive in the long run and it takes the fun out of this hobby. If the current moderators can't manage the workload due to the reasons mentioned above, Portkey usually tries to hire new moderators to even out this problem. But that too is not a process that can be done in a matter of hours.

So, don't despair if it takes a bit longer. You probably sumitted your application when Portkey had a bottle-neck so it might take a while. But we won't forget about you.
+Quote Post
moogle
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Mar 21 2006, 08:41 PM
Post #8

Hopeless Romantic
Group Icon

ok cool. That's sweet. I was just worried it didn't work or something. But that's fine. smile.gif
+Quote Post
moogle
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post May 9 2006, 08:56 PM
Post #9

Hopeless Romantic
Group Icon

Is there anyway to stop a story you have submitted and submit another? it's just I've been waiting for like several months now and I'm just wondering if it has been lost or something.
+Quote Post
NAPPA
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jun 4 2006, 08:45 PM
Post #10

* being generally evil *
Group Icon

Member No.: 1
Hi! Call me Imran. :)

Props to my beta(s): James!

It is not your fault. We've been running a little shorthanded. We're gearing up for something things, and after tonight we'll be asking for more volunteers to shore up the numbers. I just need to finish the server move properly.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff