>
IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff

Welcome Guest ( Log In |

> IMPORTANT:

Fanfic FAQs. Portkey.org forum's still temp offline. We've displayed these FAQs to assist some with their questions.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HOW TO: register in Portkey's fanfic side, steps and benefits
NAPPA
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."
You might need to scroll up a few lines to read this complete advisory.

-- gal-texter on behalf of Portkey.org staff

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Oct 14 2003, 04:12 PM
Post #1

* being generally evil *
Group Icon

Group: Staff (admins c)
Member No.: 1
Hi! Call me Imran. :)

Props to my beta(s): James!

~~How to register in Portkey's Fanfic Side
(and benefits of doing so)~~

What's in it for you?

Having a fanfic side account will allow you to:
  • apply as a Portkey author;
  • get emailed alerts of New Chapters or Stories by your favorite authors;
  • add a story and/or author to your Favorites list;
  • leave signed reviews;
  • get email copies of authors' replies to your signed reviews;
  • keep a history of all your signed reviews, which in turn
    -- will tell you when a story has been updated;
    -- and could help you find a story (you've previously reviewed) should you lose track of it.

How to register in PK's fanfic side then?

THE SHORT STEPS:

1. Fill up this form to open an account..

2. Validate it by checking for an auto-email from Portkey.

3. Check that you can log in your fanfic account.

THIS THREAD'S NEXT POSTS EXPLAIN THESE STEPS IN GREATER DETAIL.

Related thread: WHY PORTKEY MAINTAINS TWO DATABASES OF ACCOUNTS INFO.

---- YOU MAY NOW PROCEED TO THE NEXT POST, AS THE REST OF THIS ONE HAD GOTTEN OUTDATED. BUT WE'RE KEEPING THEM FOR A GLIMPSE INTO PK'S HISTORY. smile.gif ---

the following was part of NAPPA's Oct 2003 original message, which couldn't be done yet. He's talking about a planned (but dropped) benefit of signing up. ~gal-texter aug2004

Also because in a few days we'll be turning off guest access to the NC17 fics. After that, if you're not registered, and are 18+ then you do not get to read the R or the NC17 fics.

This post has been edited by gal-texter: Jan 9 2009, 12:08 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NAPPA
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Oct 14 2003, 04:14 PM
Post #2

* being generally evil *
Group Icon

1. Fill up this [registration] form to open an account.

1-a-1. Best way to access that form is to click this URL: http://fanfiction.portkey.org/index.php?act=signup.

1-a-2. The above URL may also be accessed by clicking on the fanfic side's Register link, usually on the top right of the screen.

SCREENCAP AS OF 2008:
Attached Image

---- YOU MAY NOW SKIP TO THE NEXT POST, AS THE REST OF THIS ONE HAD GOTTEN OUTDATED. BUT WE'RE KEEPING THEM FOR A GLIMPSE INTO PK'S HISTORY. smile.gif ---

OCT 2003 screencaps:
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
NAPPA
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Oct 14 2003, 04:17 PM
Post #3

* being generally evil *
Group Icon

1-b. Fill up all required information. Please double-check the spelling particularly of your username and email address.

-- If you misspell your email address, you wouldn't get the validation email required to activate your account. If you later apply to become an author here, the fanfic moderator's (application or rejection) comments would be sent to the misspelled address. A common mistake is to misspell hotmail.com as homtail.com.

-- Please do not use reserved characters like apostrophes in your Pen Name. They would cause errors in the author application process.
~ gal-texter, 11FEB2004

---- YOU MAY NOW PROCEED TO THE NEXT POST, AS THE REST OF THIS ONE HAD GOTTEN OUTDATED. BUT WE'RE KEEPING THEM FOR A GLIMPSE INTO PK'S HISTORY. smile.gif ---

[2) If you're logged into the forums ( http://talk.portkey.org ) while you go to that page, the page will be almost completely filled out with all the information from the forums. Fill in the information. Make sure you check the email address.
A common mistake is >> "someone@homtail.com"

Attached Image
+Quote Post
NAPPA
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Oct 14 2003, 04:19 PM
Post #4

* being generally evil *
Group Icon

1-c. Fill in the rest of the information on the page. Not all boxes have to be completed.

Attached Image

This post has been edited by gal-texter: May 28 2008, 07:58 AM
+Quote Post
NAPPA
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Oct 14 2003, 04:22 PM
Post #5

* being generally evil *
Group Icon

2. Validate your fanfic registration by checking for an auto-email from Portkey.

It will be sent to the email address you've provided in step 1-b above. Follow the instructions in that email.

SAMPLE EMAIL:

This post has been edited by gal-texter: May 27 2008, 10:21 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
gal-texter
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Nov 1 2003, 05:31 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,281
Hi! Call me Pen. :)

SMUT! Click if you're an adult PK oldbie!
Read our feature on author HARRYS MISTRESS!

POST RECYCLED IN JUN 2008:

Click the images below to magnify them.

3. Check if you can log in your fanfic account. Do this after following the instructions in PK's validation email.

NOTE: At this point, you can't upload stories yet.

3-a. Log in the fanfic side. Enter your username, password, then hit Go.

Attached Image

3-b. Check that the screen now states Logged in beside your username. Presently, this shows up on the top right of the screen.

Attached Image

After you've logged in as can be seen in step 3-b, then you can leave "signed" reviews. That is, your review will show up in your control panel's User Panel > Review History, and you'll also get emailed copies of any replies the authors make to your review.

EDIT JUL 24 2008:

What's the difference between logging in the fanfiction control panel and in the "New/Updated" page or a story's reviews page?

You log in the fanfiction control panel to:
-- edit your fanfic account info and settings (password, bio, email addy, bday, password, etc).
-- upload and edit stories, if you've been given author permissions. You can edit the story's properties such as story title, chapter title and content, fic summary, rating, genre and completion status. Or you can edit your chapters without deleting their reviews.

You log in the New/Update page or the Reviews page to:
-- view the contact info on the profile page of another registered user;

-- leave signed reviews to other author's stories. Some benefits:
------ you earn Portkey points, which allow you to get email alerts of new stories or chapters;
------ you get emailed copies of the author's replies to your reviews;
------ your reviews are linked in the Review History item of your fanfic control panel. You can use this to trace some Portkey stories you've read before but have lost track of.

-- if you're a Portkey author, you can reply to reviews to stories you've uploaded here;

Please refer to the FAQs list for more detailed procedures and explanations of the above.
+Quote Post
Panther
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jul 24 2005, 05:17 PM
Post #7

Delusional and damn proud of it! H/Hr forever!

Group: Member
From: At the bottom of the ocean, still shipping Harmony. Go ahead. Call me the D word. I want you to.
Member No.: 9,018
Hi! Call me Emily . :)

MOD NOTE: merging this with a related thread.
~gal-texter / Pen Jun2008

Someone else has used my forum username to register in Portkey's fanfic section?

Okay, whenever I go into the fanfic section and try to get to my control panel, it says I'm not registered, which I am under the forums. So then I try to register under the fanfic section and use my username: Panther. It says someone else has that username. Yeah!! ME!!

UGGHHH!!!

This is why computers get on my nerves sometimes.

Sooo...

CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME!?!?

*Voice reaches outerspace*

*Harmony luvr*
+Quote Post
Another
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Aug 1 2005, 09:47 PM
Post #8

As long as it's shiny
Group Icon

Group: Guarding the Muggle Minister
Member No.: 5,667
Hi! Call me Jonathan. :)

The forums and fanfiction login systems completely separate. You have to have separate accounts in each section. Unless you're sure you registered both accounts yourself, it is possible that someone registered in the fanfiction section as Panther but not in the forums. Or you may have both accounts, and the passwords may simply be different.

Hope that helps enough,
~Jonathan
+Quote Post
Panther
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Aug 2 2005, 06:56 AM
Post #9

Delusional and damn proud of it! H/Hr forever!

From: At the bottom of the ocean, still shipping Harmony. Go ahead. Call me the D word. I want you to.
Member No.: 9,018
Hi! Call me Emily . :)

Yeah, I figured it out, and I'm now Amber Eyz in the fanfic section. I just kept this going in case someone else was having the same problem. biggrin.gif

Thx Another!! tongue.gif

*Harmony luvr*
+Quote Post
Hermione's Shadow
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Sep 28 2006, 09:56 AM
Post #10

Hermione's Shadow

Member No.: 14,947

Merging this with a related thread. - gal-texter Jun2008

Hi,
I registered a few months ago, and just recently started using my account. My problem is, that whenever I go to reveiw a fan fiction, or look at an authors profile, it tells me that I need to be logged on to veiw the information, i and when I review, it always reviews as anonymous. I don't understand this and it drives me crazy, because I would like to become an author, and I already have a story started, but i don't know if I will be able to become an author if this starts. Please help me unsure.gif
-Hermione's shadow
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff