>
IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff

Welcome Guest ( Log In |

> IMPORTANT:

Fanfic FAQs. Portkey.org forum's still temp offline. We've displayed these FAQs to assist some with their questions.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can authors post their PK stories to other sites?, say, PK copy is their only copy
Guest_KirstiR
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."
You might need to scroll up a few lines to read this complete advisory.

-- gal-texter on behalf of Portkey.org staff

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Nov 4 2004, 08:27 AM
Post #1

Unregistered

I submitted my first fanfic and application over a week ago. While I'm waiting to hear if Portkey accepted it, can I go ahead and post on other sites? Or is that taboo (I emailed you my story)? Thanks!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Scrivenshaft
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Nov 4 2004, 08:41 AM
Post #2

Forum and Fanfiction Moderator
Group Icon

Group: Guarding the Muggle Minister
Member No.: 1,748
Hi! Call me Rachael. :)

No, we don't expect you to archive on our site exclusively. Sorry about the wait, we're having a few problems with mods not being able to access our [emailed applications] inbox thanks to nasty Uni firewalls. Don't worry though, we will have it done in the next few days.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
gal-texter
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post May 27 2008, 07:25 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Staff (admins c)
Member No.: 1,281
Hi! Call me Pen. :)

SMUT! Click if you're an adult PK oldbie!
Read our feature on author HARRYS MISTRESS!

Can Portkey authors post their Portkey fics in other sites? What if their only copy of the fic is the one posted here in Portkey?

A: Yep, they can. The story remains their property, not Portkey's.

Copying PM's we exchanged over the last 48 hours about this, in case others were wondering the same thing. There's also something here about non-mods now having the option to CC people in their PMs.

QUOTE(author to gal-texter)
I dont know who to ask about this but I figured your an admin so you might know!

I have a story here that I would like to put on fanfiction.net. The only problem is that when I finish a story I delete them from my computer. I was just going to copy and paste my story back into Word and then upload them onto fanfiction. I didnt think that that would be a problem, but I wanted to make sure before I did anything. So it that okay?

Thanks a bunch.

QUOTE(gal-texter to author and Adam)
Hi Angel 737, I'm gonna refer your question to Adam, our Head Fic Admin, OK? He knows more about story uploading procedures than I do. smile.gif Just make sure you don't delete your story here in Portkey.

QUOTE(author)
No problem, thanks again!

QUOTE(gal-texter to author cc: Adam @ sbys, Angel-Wing)
OK. I'm re-sending this PM to Adam and cc'ing it to two more of our co-mods who both have experience uploading fics in Fanfiction.net. (I'm not sure if Adam had ever opened a fanfiction.net author account; I know he spends a lot of time working in PK.)**

Adam, Romy (Angel-Wing), Christine (sbys), kindly cc us all in your replies. Thanks. smile.gif

- Pen (gal-texter)

**I've since noticed Adam's light bulb icon (at the bottom left of his forum posts, so that means he did find time to upload stories in FFN. - Pen/gal-texter

QUOTE(Angel-Wing to gal-texter)
Anyway, regarding the question about FFnet... I don't know if I understood correctly, but seems to me that she's asking permission to copy the story she has uploaded in Portkey to a Word file and upload it in FFnet. If that's it, she doesn't even need to ask, right?

The last time I uploaded something to FFnet (ages ago), you had the option to copy the text in a blank space they provide or upload a html file (I think you could upload it in .doc, but the formatting always got screwed up in the end).

I hope that was helpful.

~Romy

P.S. This wasn't forwarded to the PKer who asked.

QUOTE(gal-texter to author cc Adam @ sbys, Angel-Wing)
CC'ing everyone in here. smile.gif

QUOTE(Romy/Angel-Wing)
Anyway, regarding the question about FFnet... I don't know if I understood correctly, but seems to me that she's asking permission to copy the story she has uploaded in Portkey to a Word file and upload it in FFnet. If that's it, she doesn't even need to ask, right?

The last time I uploaded something to FFnet (ages ago), you had the option to copy the text in a blank space they provide or upload a html file (I think you could upload it in .doc, but the formatting always got screwed up in the end).

I hope that was helpful.

~Romy

P.S. This wasn't forwarded to the PKer who asked.

Romy, you're right, authors don't need to ask for PK's permission. I thought [the author] wanted to ask the technicalese of doing it, but I could be wrong. smile.gif

[To the author] - I guess you can copy the PK version to Word then. Perhaps the story text in your author panels would be free of ads and PK's banners/template?
Then you can try converting it to HTML per these instructions. Feel free to PM us back or post on that thread if you have further questions. If we don't know the answer, we'll put up "help wanted" signs in the forums. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(author)
Romy/Angel-Wing answered it. I wasnt sure if it was okay for me to copy it. I didnt know if you guys had a problem with it.

Thanks for all of your help!

Oh, I didnt send this to anyone else (Not sure how... blush.gif Do you just add their names into the recipients box?)

Once again thank you!

QUOTE(gal-texter to author @ Adam, sbys, Angel-Wing)
OK, glad to see that was resolved. It never hurts to ask, right? smile.gif Yep, it's okay for you authors to post your own stories elsewhere. They're your creation, after all. smile.gif

CC'ing others in PMs was previously available only to mods and ex-mods. But I've enabled it now such that non-mods can cc 5 people in PMs while mods can cc 20. You ought to see a Carbon copy to other members box now when you compose PMs. Enter one username per line and there you go. biggrin.gif

User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff