>
IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff

Welcome Guest ( Log In |

> IMPORTANT:

Fanfic FAQs. Portkey.org forum's still temp offline. We've displayed these FAQs to assist some with their questions.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Minimum Word Counts for stories
Labrisha
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."
You might need to scroll up a few lines to read this complete advisory.

-- gal-texter on behalf of Portkey.org staff

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Sep 26 2004, 02:36 PM
Post #1

ickle firstie

Group: Member
Member No.: 6,730
Hi! Call me Lisa. :)

How long should a story or chapter be?

I was wondering... since a sample would be only part of the story, does the sample has to be over 3000 words? or the story all together?
Also I'm right now breaking down what I have already in chapters.. what would be a good length for each chapter? how many words....

thank you

This post has been edited by gal-texter: Sep 27 2004, 02:10 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
gal-texter
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Sep 26 2004, 04:00 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Staff (admins c)
Member No.: 1,281
Hi! Call me Pen. :)

SMUT! Click if you're an adult PK oldbie!
Read our feature on author HARRYS MISTRESS!

Edited in Feb 2009: Here's a more detailed reply that includes word counting tools.

Fic Mods would like to read at least 3,000 words from each applicant.

------ HIDING THIS SLIGHTLY OUTDATED REPLY ----

This means that samples submitted should have a combined total of at least 3,000 words, which may be comprised of one-shots and/or story chapters. Example, story A may be a 500-word one-shot, story B has 1,000 words, while story C has 1,600 words.

All 3 stories should be submitted as samples. We don't require a minimum length for each chapter, as long as an applicant submits at least 3,000 words total. From stories that meet our other Fanfic Criteria.
+Quote Post
spoonjosh
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Feb 10 2006, 06:58 AM
Post #3

ickle firstie

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,847
Hi! Call me Josh. :)

Hey guys!

I've been reviewing for a little while now, but wanted to ask about the word limit (haven't read this anywhere or could have overlooked it). I understand there is a minimum of 3,000 words for an author that is posting first time.** I remember that I posted about 2,900 and ninety-something words... are you guys picky about that? It's been over a week and so my author status is still pending, so I'm worried whether or not that might not be the case. I guess there are hundreds of authors waiting to publish, though, so I can understand if you guys have HEAPS to read.

Cheers,

spoonjosh

**MOD NOTE: Just wanted to add that this 3,000-word minimum is required for the application process, as clarified by Jonathan/Another here.
-gal-texter/Pen May2008

+Quote Post
Another
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Feb 14 2006, 11:47 PM
Post #4

As long as it's shiny
Group Icon

Group: Guarding the Muggle Minister
Member No.: 5,667
Hi! Call me Jonathan. :)

The limit is not a particularly high one, so if the word count is below 3000, then the moderator will probably reject it on the grounds that there isn't enough to really judge the fic. I personally would probably forgive a 2990 word sample, but no such mercy is required. So in that regard, it depends somewhat on the ficmod.

And with the waiting--all I can do is ask for patience. We try and do as many as we can do accurately, but we have busy RL to deal with as well, and many of the ficmods are also forum mods, which uses more time. We'll get there, just hang in there. I'd estimate there's about 75 or so currently in queue.

~Jonathan
+Quote Post
Seraphina
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jul 22 2007, 04:36 PM
Post #5

PKWizard/Witch

Member No.: 11,315
Hi! Call me Alex. :)

I was just wondering... is there a minimum word count for stories posted in the fanfiction section? Just wanted to make sure before I posted any of my stories.
+Quote Post
Another
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jul 22 2007, 09:47 PM
Post #6

As long as it's shiny
Group Icon

Group: Guarding the Muggle Minister
Member No.: 5,667
Hi! Call me Jonathan. :)

No. biggrin.gif

For the application, 3000 words is our minimum, but a story's a story no matter how short. Actually, I have a particular eye for conciseness, where appropriate.
+Quote Post
Seraphina
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jul 23 2007, 06:52 AM
Post #7

PKWizard/Witch

Member No.: 11,315
Hi! Call me Alex. :)

Great! biggrin.gif *goes off to post story*
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff