>
IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff

Welcome Guest ( Log In |

> IMPORTANT:

Fanfic FAQs. Portkey.org forum's still temp offline. We've displayed these FAQs to assist some with their questions.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Copyright Disclaimers, Still puzzled by them....
Azure Black
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."
You might need to scroll up a few lines to read this complete advisory.

-- gal-texter on behalf of Portkey.org staff

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post May 16 2007, 09:19 AM
Post #1

ickle firstie

Group: Member
Member No.: 16,039

I have been writing fan fics for a good couple of years now, and i still struggle with writing the disclaimer. It's obviously a very important part fo the fic, and the fanfiction community. Does any one know where i can find a comprehensive one (that doesn't involve plagiarism of someone elses obviously!) or any advice on writing one that covers all bases?

Thanks

Azure x
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sweet-lemmon
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post May 16 2007, 06:01 PM
Post #2

Just magic

Member No.: 13,962
Hi! Call me Gisele. :)

QUOTE(Azure Black @ May 16 2007, 02:19 PM) *

I have been writing fan fics for a good couple of years now, and i still struggle with writing the disclaimer. It's obviously a very important part fo the fic, and the fanfiction community. Does any one know where i can find a comprehensive one (that doesn't involve plagiarism of someone elses obviously!) or any advice on writing one that covers all bases?

Thanks

Azure x

On Fiction Alley all fics have a standart (sp?) disclaimer. I hope this helps. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Another
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jun 4 2007, 09:49 PM
Post #3

As long as it's shiny
Group Icon

Group: Guarding the Muggle Minister
Member No.: 5,667
Hi! Call me Jonathan. :)

I am not a legal adviser.

But to my knowledge nothing awful has ever happened to an HP fanfiction author simply for being an HP fanfiction author. There are a rare few authors that use their copyrights to prevent derivative works, but J.K. Rowling is most certainly not among them.

For me, a disclaimer within a story itself is just a way to show good faith. Use a disclaimer to respect the owner.

Still, Portkey itself uses this fine print:
The stories on this site are based on characters and situations created and owned by JK Rowling, various publishers including but not limited to Bloomsbury Books, Scholastic Books, Raincoast Books, and Warner Bros., Inc. No copyright or trademark infringement is intended. This website is not an affliate of any of the entities listed above.

See? Nothing terribly fancy, just a nod where a nod is due. I'm not suggesting you copy this whole thing, or this whole thing:

Some situations and characters contained herein may be derived wholly or in part from the published works of J.K. Rowling for non-commercial use only. No copyright or trademark infringement is intended or should be inferred.

I'm not saying you need to be so pretentious either:

The following story is based on situations and characters owned by J.K. Rowling or her publishers.

This post has been edited by Another: Jun 4 2007, 10:30 PM
+Quote Post
Ancient Werewolf
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jun 5 2007, 11:40 AM
Post #4

500 Posts Club

Member No.: 16,008
Hi! Call me John Howling, Lon Wolfgood, whatever. :)

Am I the only one who thinks disclaimers are lame/pointless/ridiculous?

*fills out with crap so that some won't complain about "one-liners"* :refeck: (I wish that smilie was here...)

This post has been edited by Ancient Werewolf: Jun 6 2007, 09:45 AM
+Quote Post
Another
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jun 5 2007, 12:54 PM
Post #5

As long as it's shiny
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,667
Hi! Call me Jonathan. :)

Well, you aren't the only one posting one-liners, anyway.

I didn't say disclaimers weren't lame and ridiculous, but they aren't pointless. Personally, I tend to take inspiration freely from whence it comes with little to absolutely no regard whatsoever to disclaiming it, but that's not such a good idea if someone from a news source ever came along and quoted you taking credit for someone else's work. Again, I'm not a legal adviser, but laws exist and the people with the guns think the laws are nice. So I see at least some point in writing a disclaimer someplace.

But like I said, the real reason why I like disclaimers is that it's a chance to respect someone else's good work.

EDIT: Somehow, "someone else's" became "someone's else." Interesting.

This post has been edited by Another: Jun 5 2007, 12:55 PM
+Quote Post
faithful2thecall
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jun 5 2007, 09:18 PM
Post #6

Harmony writer and lover

Member No.: 13,450
Hi! Call me Thomas. :)

I've seen disclaimers as short as "Nope, not mine" and as elaborate as a little comedic mini-scene to set the stage for the story.
+Quote Post
AdamantEve
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jun 6 2007, 09:18 AM
Post #7

Go on, then. Call me a witch. I want you to.

Member No.: 11,365
Hi! Call me Anna. :)

Props to my beta(s): Tome_Raider, Aurabolt!

I just say "Standard disclaimers apply." I've been in this fanfic bit too long to make some kind of customized disclaimer.

Disclaimers have their legal importance. It's the only reason I still put one. I don't think JKR's lawyers would sue me, but I've had to deal with so much legal b*ll in my line of work that I do put things in writing most times. It's a habit.
+Quote Post
moogle
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jul 6 2007, 03:55 PM
Post #8

Hopeless Romantic
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,050
Hi! Call me Kim. :)

Disclaimers are all good and swell, but you don't need to go overboard with them. Just as long as you are giving credit for where it is due that is fine.

I've never really bothered with anything fancy; just a simple disclaimer to make sure if anyone tries to sue me they can't biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
JordanL
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Aug 21 2007, 02:43 AM
Post #9

He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Argued-With

Member No.: 7,321
Hi! Call me Jordan. :)

QUOTE(Ancient Werewolf @ Jun 5 2007, 12:40 PM) *

Am I the only one who thinks disclaimers are lame/pointless/ridiculous?

*fills out with crap so that some won't complain about "one-liners"* :refeck: (I wish that smilie was here...)

No, I think that they're crap too.

Legally, they do nothing extra to protect you, and most are far too comically written to offer legal protection anyway.

It doesn't matter what disclaimer you use, if they really WANT to sue you, they will for Trademark infringement, (using the name Harry Potter infringes a trademark), then they will lose because they failed to adequately defend the trademark to begin with.

There is no legal threat.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff