>
IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff

Welcome Guest ( Log In |

> IMPORTANT:

Fanfic FAQs. Portkey.org forum's still temp offline. We've displayed these FAQs to assist some with their questions.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Character set issues - apostrophes, quote, symbols, non-alphanumeric characters
jetso
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."
You might need to scroll up a few lines to read this complete advisory.

-- gal-texter on behalf of Portkey.org staff

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Jun 6 2004, 12:05 PM
Post #1

the un-famous lurker

Group: Member
Member No.: 590
Hi! Call me Jenn. :)

MODLY NOTE: merging this with a related thread. NAPPA's answer also explains why pen names shouldn't include apostrophes, quote marks and other reserved characters.
~gal-texter / Pen Jun2008

It's hardly a disaster, more a big, but still vaguely irritating none the less:

When uploading story chapters, I've found that the apostrophe in chapter/fic titles morph into a \ and eat up the rest of the title... Is it simply that it's not apostrophe-friendly or is it a glitch in the system?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NAPPA
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Jun 6 2004, 12:32 PM
Post #2

* being generally evil *
Group Icon

Group: Staff (admins c)
Member No.: 1
Hi! Call me Imran. :)

Props to my beta(s): James!

The programming language we use - had apostrophes, and quotes as reserves words. We're trying to work around this issue.
+Quote Post
jetso
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jun 6 2004, 02:11 PM
Post #3

the un-famous lurker

Member No.: 590
Hi! Call me Jenn. :)

Oh... I see... Glad you're aware.

Thank you for the prompt response. Will henceforth work my titles around that. Not great tragedy, or any tragedy for that matter. (Though you might want to include a little note by the uploading form so that authors are aware of that. Just prevents confusion...)
+Quote Post
Bexis
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Feb 26 2007, 10:27 AM
Post #4

PKWizard/Witch

Member No.: 19,075
Hi! Call me James. :)

SMUT! Click if you're an adult PK oldbie!

Improper mapping of non-standard characters

This is of fairly recent vintage. When I first started posting on PK, characters such as section symbols, pound signs (UK money) and accented letters mapped excellently with no problems. For about the last month or so, anything using such non-standard characters has produced gibberish. For example the charmonium sign in physics < Ω > showed up as < Ω > in my latest chapter. I hate to see what several paragraphs of French look like in my Chapter 26.

What's the deal with this problem? Is there anything you can do about it? Is there anything I can do about it (other than stop using all non-standard characters that is).
+Quote Post
Big_fish
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Feb 26 2007, 06:02 PM
Post #5

ickle firstie

Member No.: 19,095

QUOTE(Iambexis @ Feb 26 2007, 10:27 AM) *

For about the last month or so, anything using such non-standard characters has produced gibberish. For example the charmonium sign in physics < Ω > showed up as < Ω > in my latest chapter. I hate to see what several paragraphs of French look like in my Chapter 26.

This is a character encoding problem. Once I put your piece into UTF-8 the omega displays properly. This probably has to do with how they import the submitted stories (especially since their pages are listed as using ISO-8859-1).

Are submitting a doc file? Because if you are then you are just going to have to wait until the admin's update the headers to UTF-8 or put in an a/n to let the readers know to change it.

If you are submitting it as raw html then you are either going to have to use the equivalent code in ISO-8859 (for things like the sign) or just going to have to wait (if your character is not defined 8859, like omega).

On a side note, I can't believe that you are talking about charmonium in an HP fanfic. If I had known I would have been seeing some quantum mechanics I would have read you fic earlier but now you have sparked my interest.
+Quote Post
Bexis
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Feb 27 2007, 04:35 AM
Post #6

PKWizard/Witch

I'm using straight Word (.doc) - no HTML. I'm happy to wait until a fix is made. Any ETA on that fix?

Technically I was referencing Ω+++, but the plus signs came through OK. I've used lots of physics in my story - the "fifth element" itself is a matter of standard (not quantum) physics. There's an explanation of Apparition in one of the earlier chapters that involves quantum superposition. Hermione makes a joke about Schrodinger's cat at another point.

There's other science too. One of the Healers is head of Charmonium Mediated Transitory Epigenetics (problematic transfigurations) at St. Mungos.

I'm working on a chapter now that's got a lot of straight astronomy in it.

This post has been edited by Iambexis: Feb 27 2007, 04:38 AM
+Quote Post
James
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Feb 28 2007, 10:05 PM
Post #7

The House Elf!
Group Icon

Group: Guarding the Muggle Minister
Member No.: 22

I've betaed for NAPPA.

Hi Bexis,

As Big_fish noted, the character encoding was not right to display the characters that you were after.

I've changed the encoding to UTF-8. From what I can tell that has stopped the problem from occuring. If any more problems do pop up or I've missed something, do let me know.

It appears our recent server move - of about a month ago - has probably contributed to the jibberish appearing as we upgrade and reinstall software and don't quite get the settings right. Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

Keep up the brilliant writing!
James
+Quote Post
Bexis
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Mar 1 2007, 05:13 AM
Post #8

PKWizard/Witch

That seems to have fixed my problem. I checked a number of chapters and all of them seem to be OK now without my having to reload them or anything.

Thank you very much.

I did notice a similar problem, however, in the most recent chapter (54) of Vox Corporatis. The quotation marks in that chapter are appearing as question marks.
+Quote Post
rasadam
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Mar 1 2007, 09:33 AM
Post #9

ickle firstie

Member No.: 18,497

This has only been recently happening, but suddenly many stories are suddenly formatting incorrectly. It seems that the stories are in Western (ISO-8859-1) but the page is set to UTF-8 in the HTML. I have to force Firefox to change the characterset to Western on each page to show properly.

This is causing it:

CODE
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

Can't set to character set to UTF8 if the actual pages aren't UTF8... If stories are being uploaded in a mixture of charactersets, it would be better to remove forcing the character set (ie remove that line). Most web browsers are able to auto-detect the characterset of pages.

It's a bit annoying.

This post has been edited by rasadam: Mar 1 2007, 09:35 AM
+Quote Post
Big_fish
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Mar 1 2007, 11:45 AM
Post #10

ickle firstie

Member No.: 19,095

QUOTE(Iambexis @ Mar 1 2007, 09:13 PM) *
I did notice a similar problem, however, in the most recent chapter (54) of Vox Corporatis. The quotation marks in that chapter are appearing as question marks.

It looks like they noticed the problem too, seeing as how chapter 54 has been taken down. Looks like the chapters there are in ISO-8859-1, not unicode. Woops!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff