>
IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff

Welcome Guest ( Log In |

> IMPORTANT:

Fanfic FAQs. Portkey.org forum's still temp offline. We've displayed these FAQs to assist some with their questions.

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Character set issues - apostrophes, quote, symbols, non-alphanumeric characters
Big_fish
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."
You might need to scroll up a few lines to read this complete advisory.

-- gal-texter on behalf of Portkey.org staff

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Mar 1 2007, 11:49 AM
Post #11

ickle firstie

Group: Member
Member No.: 19,095

QUOTE(rasadam @ Mar 2 2007, 01:33 AM) *
CODE
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

Can't set to character set to UTF8 if the actual pages aren't UTF8... If stories are being uploaded in a mixture of charactersets, it would be better to remove forcing the character set (ie remove that line). Most web browsers are able to auto-detect the characterset of pages.

It's a bit annoying.

yup, the change was made because whatever they are using to convert .doc to html converted it in unicode, causing symbols to be off. The problem is that most stories uploaded in html are in ISO-8859-1. I am sure they will come up with a solution soon.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
James
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Mar 1 2007, 01:18 PM
Post #12

The House Elf!
Group Icon

Group: Guarding the Muggle Minister
Member No.: 22

I've betaed for NAPPA.

We've reverted back to ISO-8859-1 due to other problems poping up, but we're working on a change that should be completed within the next hour or two that will allow authors to chose the charset for each story, and we'll hopefully auto-detect which charset is the best option.
+Quote Post
Bexis
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Mar 1 2007, 01:21 PM
Post #13

PKWizard/Witch

Member No.: 19,075
Hi! Call me James. :)

SMUT! Click if you're an adult PK oldbie!

Does this mean that I have to do something else?
+Quote Post
James
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Mar 1 2007, 08:44 PM
Post #14

The House Elf!
Group Icon

I've betaed for NAPPA.

We are in the process of adding functionality that will allow stories to automatically be given the charset that they were uploaded in. All chapters that you have currently uploaded are in the correct charset now and all characters appear to be displaying correctly.

Thank you for your patience. If any other problems come up do let me know smile.gif
+Quote Post
Bexis
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Mar 4 2007, 05:32 AM
Post #15

PKWizard/Witch

I just checked some chapters and a lot of it's fixed. The French passages in ch 26 are back to normal, as are most of the section symbols that I looked at. But I uploaded some corrections to chapters 10 and 11 last night (I edit past chapters a lot when people bring typos to my attention, and when I need to tweek the story), and those chapters seem broken again. One of the Arabic book titles in ch 11 is particularly a mess.

Is there an extra step I have to go through when uploading revisions to existing chapters?
+Quote Post
James
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Mar 5 2007, 02:40 AM
Post #16

The House Elf!
Group Icon

I've betaed for NAPPA.

The two chapters you uploaded this morning, along with any additional chapters that you upload from now on, should all display correctly.

You actually beat me to it by uploading those chapters before I had time to apply a code change which essentially means that any DOC files uploaded will now use the UTF-8 encoding, while HTML-uploaded chapters will remain under the ISO-8859 format.

Sorry that you got caught up in the confusion but if things are running the way they're supposed to it should all be sorted now smile.gif

edit: Just thought I'd add that when you upload a chapter the "preview" of the chapter may not appear correct. This is because the preview will display in ISO-8859 regardless of whether uploaded by DOC or HTML. Rest assured that regardless of how the preview appears, if the file is uploaded in DOC format it will display in the correct encoding when displaying on the portkey website.

Sometime within the next week I hope to have reworked the preview page so that it will correctly display the chapter exactly as it will appear on the website.

This post has been edited by James: Mar 5 2007, 02:44 AM
+Quote Post
Bexis
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Mar 9 2007, 10:19 AM
Post #17

PKWizard/Witch

This appears fixed this morning. Thank you.
+Quote Post
Bexis
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Oct 1 2008, 05:21 AM
Post #18

PKWizard/Witch

The character mapping is causing problems again. It's not as bad as before, but characters such as and are showing up as empty boxes in the chapter I just posted. I post using Word documents that include characters found in the standard Word library of symbols.
+Quote Post
gal-texter
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Nov 5 2008, 05:42 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

Group: Staff (admins c)
Member No.: 1,281
Hi! Call me Pen. :)

Read our feature on author HARRYS MISTRESS!

Will let the coders know; though I have no idea whether that's something that could be easily fixed or not. I'm pretty sure you don't mind this issue much, but you wanted to let us know in case it could be fixed.

Sorry we haven't replied here sooner. Lately, I can stay in PK only for 5 - 15 minutes at a time, which I normally spend handling other matters. Same with my mod teammates.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff