>
IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff

Welcome Guest ( Log In |

> IMPORTANT:

Fanfic FAQs. Portkey.org forum's still temp offline. We've displayed these FAQs to assist some with their questions.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bugs and improving the fanfiction search
Big_fish
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."
You might need to scroll up a few lines to read this complete advisory.

-- gal-texter on behalf of Portkey.org staff

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Feb 24 2007, 11:39 PM
Post #1

ickle firstie

Group: Member
Member No.: 19,095

Lets start with the bugs. Most of these are just small things that annoyed me. While I doubt that most of these are bugs (judging by the state of the homepage and all the commented out code) I am just going to post these in here to make sure you know about them. Also, based on the fact that there are so many problems on the homepage I am guessing that it is a work in progress.

1) None of the RSS bugs on the homepage work. In fact, the rss feeds don't work at all.

2) Homepage doesn't show statistics. Judging by the fact that the statistics page says "Disabled for now", you probably already know about this.

3) The footers has plain text instead of links (and I am not even going to start on the fanfiction footer).

4) The advertising and site news sections of the homepage are blank.

5) Login/register in sidebar not linked (guessing because there is no login page for the fanfics but just letting you know).

6) It looks like you guys are rolling out the home page because the last 3 (news, shop and help) links on the sidebar (including help.portkey.org which is mentioned several other times on the page) will bring up the default apache page.

7) Fan art problems: not only does the updates box say "down for maintenance" but (as mentioned in the pinned topic) gallery.portkey.org brings up a blank page.

Now, about the search:

I know your Filter/Search page says that that it is in beta but I have to complain about it. The main problem is you can only do a title, subject or author search. There is absolutely no reason not to have a full text search. A few years ago I would understand why one wouldn't allow a full search (server size and server usage problems) but there is no excuse anymore. I often do full text searches right now through The Google using site:fanfiction.portkey.org but I can't do any sort of filtering of the results (for ships and such). So why don't you just scrap the search engine you have right now and switch to google?

I would also like to point out that it will even save you resources to do it this way. While I am not sure how you are handling the search right now and how your database is set up but all that you would have to do now is just set up the search params, do a get, take the results that google gives you and format it out to how you want it displayed. It could even be displayed in the current format you have. The only limitations is you need to put a 'search provided by Google' tag on the page and you can only get up to 1000 searches (and with about 5300 stories, this is a non-problem). And as someone who has just helped a small site implement a google based search engine, I can tell you that it isn't that hard and is much better then you could do on your own. I would even write you the code but I don't know how your database is set up and I probably don't know the language you are using (I am an application developer who knows enough about web development to get by).
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
James
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."
You might need to scroll up a few lines to read this complete advisory.

-- gal-texter on behalf of Portkey.org staff

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Mar 5 2007, 03:31 AM
Post #2

The House Elf!
Group Icon

Group: Guarding the Muggle Minister
Member No.: 22

I've betaed for NAPPA.

Hi Big_fish,

I took note of this message a while back but never got around to responding, my apologies for taking so long to address it.

The problems with dead links/plain text are on my to review list and I'll take care of them the next opportunity I get. They must have fallen through the cracks and not been put together right after we completed a server move a few weeks ago. Some of them are probably issues we've not addressed for some time now.

The statistics page is back online - though not as complete with its statistics as I'd like it to be, and further improvements are coming along.

The RSS on the homepage was not my doing and I'll have to pass those concerns onto NAPPA whom set the RSS feeds up initially.

As far as full text searching is concerned - I've never come across a need for full text searching before and probably haven't really thought about the benefits of it fully. I will consider this further and look into the google option. As far as implementing full text searching into the existing search system, we would not have the resources to conduct such searches because of the nature of and design of the database, so the only plausible option would be to use Google.

Thank you very much for bringing those bugs to our attention and suggesting those improvements. They help us to improve the website, and we are always keen to receive feedback!

James
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff