>
IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff

Welcome Guest ( Log In |

> IMPORTANT:

Fanfic FAQs. Portkey.org forum's still temp offline. We've displayed these FAQs to assist some with their questions.

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> What if your story gets rejected? Can you re-submit it?, Yes, but FIX IT before re-submitting
gal-texter
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."
You might need to scroll up a few lines to read this complete advisory.

-- gal-texter on behalf of Portkey.org staff

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Feb 8 2010, 03:29 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

Group: Staff (admins c)
Member No.: 1,281
Hi! Call me Pen. :)

SMUT! Click if you're an adult PK oldbie!
Read our feature on author HARRYS MISTRESS!

First, every applicant gets a form email.

Second, this is only a volunteer fansite, so our processes are far from perfect. I myself don't list errors if there's too many of them, or if I have got other PK tasks I must attend to.

Third, you are based on your story's merits, not on others'. If you want to complain about the grammar in other stories here, say so in your review of those stories.

Fourth, I myself use the phrase "there were too many grammar errors" sometimes. It may not be academically correct but it's acceptable for colloquial use. Certainly acceptable for us when handling applications.

Fifth, I've looked at your application history. Of the three instances that it was rejected, two was handled by different moderators who had both cited grammar as grounds for declining your application.

Your best chance of getting accepted is to fix those grammatical errors. Get a beta reader if you need to.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Sirius_Lee
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Feb 8 2010, 03:49 AM
Post #12

ickle firstie

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,708

The point you've seemed to miss, or ignore, is that there aren't any grammatical errors in the chapter i submitted. I do appreciate the fact that you each took the time to reply though.

+Quote Post
Sirius_Lee
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Feb 8 2010, 12:11 PM
Post #13

ickle firstie

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,708

QUOTE(gal-texter @ Feb 8 2010, 03:29 AM) *

Fifth, I've looked at your application history. Of the three instances that it was rejected, two was handled by different moderators who had both cited grammar as grounds for declining your application.

Your best chance of getting accepted is to fix those grammatical errors. Get a beta reader if you need to.

All in all, i suppose being judged by a group of people who seem incapable of forming a proper sentence themselves, is not something I should take insult from.

I do wonder though, to what lengths are submissions actually supervised. There must be some random screening, or sleepy eyed moderation, judging by the percentage of incorrect usage of grammar, misspelling and misuse of even the most common of words. The misuse of the the words 'there' and 'their' are two of my favorites.

Perhaps, and this is just a suggestion, although meant to be taken in a purely sarcastic manner, someone should be moderating the moderators.

I do, contrary to what PK staff might be thinking at this point, appreciate the site. It is a great place for H/Hr shippers to indulge their imaginations.

Thank you, gal-texter, for proving the point, not only to myself, but to any others who might stumble upon this thread.... at least before one of you remove it. That even those who judge the accuracy and correctness of an authors use of grammar, and spelling, are woefully ignorant of those very same qualities.

This post has been edited by Sirius_Lee: Feb 8 2010, 12:17 PM
+Quote Post
gal-texter
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Feb 15 2010, 07:29 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Group: Staff (admins c)
Member No.: 1,281
Hi! Call me Pen. :)

SMUT! Click if you're an adult PK oldbie!
Read our feature on author HARRYS MISTRESS!

• I had already addressed here some of the things you're doing now. Read that especially the ending parts.

• One of the two moderators who rejected your app PM'd me after you've made your posts above. She clarified that not only had she rejected your story for poor grammar, but also for poor plot.

Given how you've insulted our staff in your messages above, you've shown that you don't deserve the time we had spent on you. I'm not going to spend a second of my time going over your recent or new applications, nor would I encourage my fellow mods from doing that.

• I'm going to address this to other site visitors who might be wondering why some stories have less than perfect grammar or spelling:

-- Not every story's going to be perfect. There will be some lapses because we don't police every chapter that's uploaded. Nor do we expect each chapter to be perfect considering we're only hosting fanfiction, not publisher-worthy stories. Our rules clearly state that we expect stories to have acceptable levels of spelling and grammar, not perfect levels. The best way for our fansite to correct that would be for readers to politely point out mistakes to our writers, and for writers to learn from such criticism. Extreme cases may be reported to site staff using our site's "reporting" features.

-- Sometimes there will be lapses in moderating because of people fatigue and imperfections in our system. When you run a mere fansite for fiction while working or studying full time, then you have to make allowances for these things. This doesn't mean we haven't been making improvements. We have been, but it's unrealistic to expect us to work here with the same efficiency and attention as we do in our real lives. Case in point: it's past midnight as I write this, so I expect this message would have some mistakes in grammar and spelling.

However, I do not believe that there was a lapse in moderating in sirius lee's case. He certainly got more attention than he deserves.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Closed TopicStart new topic

IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff