>
IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff

Welcome Guest ( Log In |

> IMPORTANT:

Fanfic FAQs. Portkey.org forum's still temp offline. We've displayed these FAQs to assist some with their questions.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Are slash or near-slash scenes allowed in PK fics?, slash = male/male or female/female pairings
davis_517
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."
You might need to scroll up a few lines to read this complete advisory.

-- gal-texter on behalf of Portkey.org staff

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Jan 8 2003, 09:00 AM
Post #1

Hottest Chick In The Harem

Group: Member
Member No.: 301

*digs up this thread from the H/H archives*
Question: Are slash or near-slash scenes/pairings allowed in Portkey fanfics?

Slash = same-gender pairings, ie. male/male or female/female

Short Answer: To paraphrase NAPPA, yes, they're allowed as long as:
-- there are no graphic sex scenes between the slash pairings (or non-Portkey pairings) AND
-- the fanfic focuses on and ends in a Portkey ship.

Authors are encouraged to give warnings about slash scenes. Unless my memory fails me, this thread's first 14 posts was about msscribe's fic, "Requital".

Original topic title: "femslash breaking the rules? Upset with a popular H/Hr fic"

-gal-texter, Jun2008

I've been lurking for a while, but I decided to register to get this out there. I began to read one of the more popular fics on this site, which I thought was a H/Hr, G/D, and L/J safehouse - safe from the other stuff like slash (ick). And what did I find? SLASH! Hr/Cho slash to be exact and even though it was well written, doesn't this violate the spirit of this website?

No offense to anyone, the author is a good writer - but why is it that rules here only seem to apply to SOME fics.

D

H/Hr forever! Long sail the ship!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kristen Elizabeth
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Jan 8 2003, 09:56 AM
Post #2

PKWizard/Witch

Member No.: 168

If you had closely read that story, you'd know that the Hr/Cho "slash" to which you're referring to has complete justification. It's an act the girls put on to achieve a certain goal. Unless I radically misinterpreted the text, it is never consummated, only hinted at and played upon quite tastefully. The story is well-written, has wonderful H/Hr moments and if you don't like something about it, don't read it. I'd like to think that even people who support straight pairings won't be narrow.
+Quote Post
davis_517
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jan 8 2003, 10:39 AM
Post #3

Hottest Chick In The Harem

Member No.: 301

I won't argue about being open minded. To each person his/her own. But Hr/Cho were kissing and grinding and I don't think that this sort of thing should be posted on a clearly defined shipper site. Pretend or not, and from what I got, Hermione was enjoying it! I think it crossed the line, that's all. I stopped reading after that.

Again, I admit it was interesting (up to that point) but I just think if you are going to have a shipper site it should only be those ships. I'm not flaming anyone or saying the author isn't a good author. I didn't leave a bad review or anything.

I'm sure someone else shares my opinion. Maybe not though. I just thought it was worth discussing.
+Quote Post
Kristen Elizabeth
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jan 8 2003, 11:24 AM
Post #4

PKWizard/Witch

So...in a Harry/Hermione story, Hermione can only be a sexual creature for Harry? If he's not within three feet of her, she better just fold her arms and cross her legs and ignore everyone else? I'm sorry, I just never thought that "shipper" meant "exclusive". Until the author of this story we're discussing has Hermione running off with Cho for a long and happy lesbian life, the story is not crossing any invisible line from shipper to dangerous slash territory. I've read plenty of stories, and written one in this universe myself, where the main focus of the story is one couple, but there are moments with other couples, even pairings that include one person from the main couple. I think you're losing focus of the true pairing in this particular H/Hr story. Missing the forest for the trees, so to speak.

If I sound like I'm coming down on you, I apologize. I come from the harsh battlefield of the Gundam Wing fan archives where the slash vs. straight lines are too concrete and an author has to choose one and be whole-heartedly against the other. I don't want to see that happen here. An author should be able to create a story for one pairing, but not feel limited by it.

Final thought. Yes, Hermione doesn't mind playing it up with Cho to get the information they need. But isn't it Harry who she invites into her bed at the end of the day?
+Quote Post
Werrf
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jan 8 2003, 12:31 PM
Post #5

PKWizard/Witch

Member No.: 258

QUOTE(Kristen Elizabeth @ Jan 8 2003, 07:24 PM)
Until the author of this story we're discussing has Hermione running off with Cho for a long and happy lesbian life, the story is not crossing any invisible line from shipper to dangerous slash territory.

Nothing to do with me, I know, but I just wanted to wade in.

I find m/m slash frankly disgusting. Seeing it on the tv makes me flip immediately. Reading about it without warning is the fastest way to make me never read anything by that author again. I'm not saying that it's morally wrong, or anything like that. I'm not saying people shouldn't write it, certainly. Everyone has the right to read and write whatever they want. But I, and I'm sure davis, would like to know what we're about to read before the revulsion hits us in the face.

I don't just mean slash, though - the same could apply just as easily to graphic violence, rape, underage m/f sex, whatever.

Expecting flames now smile.gif
+Quote Post
Thieving Magpie
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jan 8 2003, 01:00 PM
Post #6

Your opinion of me weighs less than sunlight.
Group Icon

Group: Guarding the Muggle Minister
Member No.: 49

Hi People,

Sorry Werrf, no flaming this time, but I've just been checking the site rules and so far there's no rule for slash pairings. So I think it's okay as long as H/H get each other in the end. smile.gif
Anyway, I think it's much worse when Ron and Hermione kiss! laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Werrf
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jan 8 2003, 01:23 PM
Post #7

PKWizard/Witch

QUOTE(Thieving Magpie @ Jan 8 2003, 09:00 PM)
Sorry Werrf, no flaming this time, but I've just been checking the site rules and so far there's no rule for slash pairings. So I think it's okay as long as H/H get each other in the end. smile.gif

Obviously, without reading the story, I can't comment on how explicit it is, but the rules do say (paraphrased) 'no explicit scenes except between H/H, L/J and D/G'. From the sounds of it, this scene sounded pretty graphic.

Either way, I feel it's just good manners to warn people if there is going to be slash, or ship, or violence, or whatever.
+Quote Post
Kristen Elizabeth
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jan 8 2003, 01:38 PM
Post #8

PKWizard/Witch

To werrf. I'm sorry you're homophobic. But let me say it again until the author says it herself. The hint of girl/girl action is such a small part of the story. Why should she, or any of us, have to outline our stories before we tell them? "Okay, and in chapter two, there could be some slight Harry/Ginny implications if you look really hard. Be warned everyone!!! She gives him a kiss on the cheek! Just don't want to surprise anyone." That's ridiculous. I think you have to ask yourself, first of all, why am I afraid of gay people, and secondly, why am I commenting on a story I haven't read? I have read this story and I don't particularly like Cho. I'm not opposed to girl/girl action, but it's not my favorite thing on the menu. And this story so did not offend me. Cause I looked and saw what it was really about. Harry. Hermione. A complex and fascinating plot. I suggest the person who started this whole argument should do the same.
+Quote Post
Werrf
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jan 8 2003, 02:12 PM
Post #9

PKWizard/Witch

QUOTE(Kristen Elizabeth @ Jan 8 2003, 09:38 PM)
To werrf. I'm sorry you're homophobic.

Count to ten...

Nope, still angry. Count to twenty...very slowly...

Okay. I'll try to stay civil here. And Iíll try to handle things one topic at a time.

I am not homophobic. I am not Ďafraid of gay peopleí.

My reaction to m/m slash is an instinctive and visceral one. I can't stand it. Some people can't stand blood, or the graphic description of violence or torture. Are people who have those reactions 'goreophobic'? Or 'torturephobic'? No, they simply have an adverse reaction to certain things. But if you say the same thing about homosexuality and you're homophobic! You're afraid of gay people!!

I donít like reading graphic m/m. Thatís all.

Okay, thatís the insult dealt with, on to the specific topic.

I wasnít trying to comment on a story I havenít read. I was trying to comment on the suggestion that apparently thereís no need to mention things that are likely to cause offence. Itís not that difficult to put in a little line saying ďsuggestions of F/F slash in later chaptersĒ or whatever. There's a difference between 'a little kiss on the cheek' suggesting H/G and 'Hermione and Cho kissing and grinding'.

Torture...graphic violence...warnings are expected for all those situations, but apparently not for slash...why is that? Because treating homosexual sex as exactly identical to hetero- is PC? Sorry, but the fact is that it isnít the same, and can very easily cause offence if itís encountered without any warning.

By now, I fully expect to be kicked out for honesty, but frankly I don't care.
+Quote Post
msscribe
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Jan 8 2003, 02:28 PM
Post #10

PKWizard/Witch

Member No.: 83

QUOTE(Kristen Elizabeth @ Jan 8 2003, 09:38 PM)
But let me say it again until the author says it herself. The hint of girl/girl action is such a small part of the story. Why should she, or any of us, have to outline our stories before we tell them?

I couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you Kristen for your eloquent response. This fic is exactly what I say it is. H/Hr, D/G. The ships aren't a mystery. If you don't like what you're reading, stop reading it. Period. But please don't make snap judgements about something you haven't actually read.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff