>
IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff

Welcome Guest ( Log In |

> IMPORTANT:

Fanfic FAQs. Portkey.org forum's still temp offline. We've displayed these FAQs to assist some with their questions.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ERROR: Maximum 30 seconds exceeded, uploading chapters w/ big file sizes
Lissanne
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."
You might need to scroll up a few lines to read this complete advisory.

-- gal-texter on behalf of Portkey.org staff

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Nov 2 2004, 02:23 PM
Post #1

Fiend Like Queen

Group: Member
Member No.: 2,757

Hi there,

I've been trying to upload the next chapter of LIAB since yesterday, and every time I try to do it, I keep getting a fatal error that it's gone over 30 seconds. I have tried about 10 times over a 24 hour period and I keep getting the same error. Is there a problem with uploading fic? It seems others are okay, but not me. Any suggestions?

Edit: Here's the error message

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/portkey/public_html/sources/functions.php on line 379

Thanks
Liss

This post has been edited by Lissanne: Nov 2 2004, 02:27 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Thieving Magpie
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Nov 2 2004, 03:05 PM
Post #2

Your opinion of me weighs less than sunlight.
Group Icon

Group: Guarding the Muggle Minister
Member No.: 49

Hi Lissanne, I relayed your message to the admins since your problem does not seem to be a common one. I am sure they'll look into it first once they come online.

M
+Quote Post
NAPPA
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Nov 2 2004, 04:36 PM
Post #3

* being generally evil *
Group Icon

Group: Staff (admins c)
Member No.: 1
Hi! Call me Imran. :)

Props to my beta(s): James!

Hi Lissanne,

This is a problem that happens when the chapter is Extra large ( over 300KB ) and takes a long time for the server to go through and clean it up. Is it possible for you email me the chapter you're trying to upload to - [email protected]

I will need to upload the chapter manually. I usually recommend people to split it up into two seperate parts - but in your case, this might make it very difficult for people who might want to follow the chpater else where.

Imran
+Quote Post
Lissanne
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Nov 2 2004, 10:03 PM
Post #4

Fiend Like Queen

Member No.: 2,757

Thanks, Magpie.

Imran -- the chapter is nowhere near 300K -- it's only 131K in word and 158K in HTML, so that can't be the problem. I'll drop you an email, thanks for your help!

Cheers
Liss
+Quote Post
Perivayne
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Feb 20 2005, 11:14 AM
Post #5

Resident Niffler Herder

Member No.: 1,793
Hi! Call me Anne-Marie . :)

MOD NOTE: merging this into a related thread.
~gal-texter / Pen May2008

I keep hitting a time out error consistently while posting new chapters.

Error Code:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/portkey/public_html/sources/functions.php on line 341

I've split chapters, changed formats, and repeatedly tried to upload, but error remains.

Can anyone shed some light on what I can do to address this issue?

Thanks!

sorcerer.gif Perivayne
+Quote Post
PhoenixWriter
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Feb 20 2005, 06:13 PM
Post #6

Oracle said: You'll be blamed
Group Icon

Member No.: 926
Hi! Call me Diana. :)

What kind of file format are you trying to upload? Because a few formats aren't working as far as I know. Is it HTML or WORD or text only?

And it might needy to mention what kind of system you got, says if it Windows XP or such?

Because this could be the reason for your error:

Microsoft has recently released a few Windows XP patches that has caused problems in the way that we upload files. We're working at the moment to find a way around this issue. Please use either : firefox or Opera to upload if you're encountering this proiblem

+Quote Post
Perivayne
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Feb 20 2005, 07:21 PM
Post #7

Resident Niffler Herder

I've tried all the acceptable formats allowed...both docs and html.

Operating system is Windows 2000, Service Pack 3, so I don't think that's the issue.

I have finally managed to post the chapter, but was forced to split it in 2. Just wondering if there is a file size issue with the upload.
+Quote Post
PhoenixWriter
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Feb 20 2005, 09:24 PM
Post #8

Oracle said: You'll be blamed
Group Icon

Member No.: 926
Hi! Call me Diana. :)

QUOTE (Perivayne)
I have finally managed to post the chapter, but was forced to split it in 2. Just wondering if there is a file size issue with the upload.

Ah! Just me wondering, what size did it have? I mean I looked the story up you updated and it seemed to be really huge, so I do think its entier possible that the file size to be uploaded is limited.

~PhoenixWriter, who isn't a techny but still like to help blush.gif
+Quote Post
Perivayne
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Feb 20 2005, 10:46 PM
Post #9

Resident Niffler Herder

The doc file was : 202 KB, or 65 pages at 12 pt Times New Roman...

Problem is that's there's some more longer chapters to come...lol
+Quote Post
NAPPA
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Feb 22 2005, 08:49 PM
Post #10

* being generally evil *
Group Icon

Group: Staff (admins c)
Member No.: 1
Hi! Call me Imran. :)

Props to my beta(s): James!

The pages when they are uploaded are run through a sec of safety cleaners to make sure they are mostly devoid of bad things. the page can be upto 52MB - but the ammount of time it takes for the server to chew through the 65 pages, taking out any dangerous bit of coding is limited to 30 seconds to avoid getting a user trying to sabotage the entire server intentionally or otherwise. I would suggest you start splitting the chapters up ^.^ Word files work a little better with bigger chapters, but in the end both have to go through the cleaners ^.^

So the only option is to split up the chapters.

Imran / NAPPA smile.gif
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff