>
IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff

Welcome Guest ( Log In |

> IMPORTANT:

Fanfic FAQs. Portkey.org forum's still temp offline. We've displayed these FAQs to assist some with their questions.

14 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Yo, PK authors! How'd you feel when..., you got accepted in PK? etc.
How long did you wait to upload your very first story in Portkey's fanfic side?
How long did you wait to upload your very first story in Portkey's fanfic side?
less than an hour after I learned I was accepted [ 45 ] ** [30.41%]
on the same day [ 47 ] ** [31.76%]
the next day [ 14 ] ** [9.46%]
more than a day? Slowpoke! :P [ 42 ] ** [28.38%]
Total Votes: 148
Guests cannot vote 
gal-texter
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."
You might need to scroll up a few lines to read this complete advisory.

-- gal-texter on behalf of Portkey.org staff

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Aug 11 2004, 03:19 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Staff (admins c)
Member No.: 1,281
Hi! Call me Pen. :)

SMUT! Click if you're an adult PK oldbie!
Read our feature on author HARRYS MISTRESS!

Hi PK authors,

I've been wondering about these questions for ages. I suppose this is the best place to ask them. To make it easy for anyone to answer, simply copy and paste the template below onto your posts.

If you've got more questions, go ahead and ask. If you've been accepted only recently (congrats!), then you can celebrate here! thumbup.gif

CODE
[i][b]1. How'd you react when you learned you've been accepted as a Portkey author?[/b][/i]

[i][b]2. How'd you learn you were accepted in Portkey or other sites?[/b]  Which of [URL=http://talk.portkey.org/index.php?s=&showtopic=27481]these indicators[/URL] did you notice first?[/i]
[i]Have updated the URL. ~gal-texter, 29May2008[/i]

[i][b]3. How many hours did you wait before uploading your very first story in Portkey's fanfic side?[/b][/i]

[i][b]4.  What lured you to Portkey? Why did you want to be a Portkey author?[/b][/i]

As a lazy Fic Mod, I notice and/or get told about the following answers:

1. How'd you react when you learned you've been accepted as a Portkey author?

Whooped for joy?

2. How'd you learn you were accepted in Portkey? Which of these indicators did you notice first?

At least one said she never received her acceptance email. Then one time she logged on to her fanfic control panel (users.portkey.org). She squealed when she saw the "Author Options" menu.

3. How many hours did you wait before uploading your very first story in Portkey's fanfic side?

I always smile when I see stories uploaded merely hours after I've approved them. Such enthusiasm! biggrin.gif

4. What lured you to Portkey? Why did you want to be a Portkey author?

Peer pressure? IPB Image The emoticons? devil.gif Some kind of deal? devil.gif (Max, where are you?!)

~Pen twisted.gif

EDIT: added poll
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joogie
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:
Portkey.org forum's temp offline. Please read these FAQs about Portkey's technical issues and discussions about the Deathly Hallows movie.
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message."

[/end of NOV 25, 2010 notice about Portkey.org's tech issues and offline sections]
post Aug 11 2004, 03:46 AM
Post #2

Resident Hugger

Group: Member
Member No.: 5,548
Hi! Call me Nelli. :)

I grinned very widely and felt my heart jump. I don't care if it's not biologically possible! It did happen!

2. How'd you learn you were accepted in Portkey or other sites? Which of these indicators did you notice first?

I got an email. One of the best ever. wink.gif

3. How many hours did you wait before uploading your very first story in Portkey's fanfic side?

*thinks* Two hours? Maybe a little more.

I love Pumpkinpie and I love writing about it. PK had a vast amount of great stories on its list, and I felt that I would love to be included among such a lot of talented authors.

EDIT:

I always smile when I see stories uploaded merely hours after I've approved them. Such enthusiasm!

rolleyes.gif Hehe. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Joogie: Aug 11 2004, 03:47 AM
+Quote Post
PhoenixWriter
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Aug 11 2004, 04:29 AM
Post #3

Oracle said: You'll be blamed
Group Icon

Group: Guarding the Muggle Minister
Member No.: 926
Hi! Call me Diana. :)

Ah well I can't really remember when I got accepted but I can tell you I was surprised, utterly and completely surprised that I was accepted. Because I send in a rather not so well betaed vision of the very first smute fic I ever wrote. I still can't believe that I got the authornumber 269 but there are now what over 5000 more authors that is uncanny.

2. How'd you learn you were accepted in Portkey or other sites? Which of these indicators did you notice first?

Heaven which fics I always adored and someone where I rather look up sent me a really nice e-mail so I knew right away before I got to the site I was accepted. Hmm I don't even know if it were at that time so noticeable, though.

Uh, thats hard but I believe I posted the same chapter just a couple of hours after I got the approvel. Uhm well it got directly so about 17 reviews, just I was so stupid and deleted this story accidently so you'll never read the nice, really nicest reviews I got since I post my fics here.

A guy called Mola made me write once a smute-story almost one and a half years ago. We chated and he asked why I don't write such stuff uh and well I told him I'm no good in it but someway he got me that far to give it a try. After that I needed someone to beta it, guess he was the one who did so.
Since it was NC-17 I needed to become a Portkey-author or I couldn't have post it at all though I did it anyway on FFN but ssh I got punished for it. The only time ever that I was banned anywhere on net for 3 weeks.

+Quote Post
Anazecria
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Aug 11 2004, 06:34 AM
Post #4

Official HMS Pumpkin Pie Librarian (Keeper of Quotes)
Group Icon

From: Gutter City Town Mayor's Office aka Sydney, Australia
Member No.: 1,445
Hi! Call me Nielle. :)

Pen, do I need to answer these? You know my story probably better than I do! tongue.gif At the very least most of this is probably well documented at Wonky.

My jaw dropped.

I honestly can't remember if Pen told me before I got the email. Regardless, my jaw still dropped at the email.

Again, can't remember that well, but am pretty sure it was the same day.

The first question is a loaded and lengthy one. I came to PK to read fics, certainly not to write any. As to the second one, Pen knows it was peer pressure and getting "caught in a thingy of my own thingy". tongue.gif But PK Author... still funny about calling myself that.

Nielle, wondering where the time goes.
+Quote Post
InTheStars
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Aug 11 2004, 12:17 PM
Post #5

2K Posts Club
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,762
Hi! Call me Crystal. :)

Erm, something like this:

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif *throws imaginery confetti*

Email and email. With comments from Pen. *happy dance*

Oh, I did it right away.

Erm... I faintly remember finding it by chance, and then saw the D/G forum and was like, "oh, joy!"

'Cuz everyone (namely Nitya tongue.gif ) was pressuring me. tongue.gif

Crys
+Quote Post
peanutbutterperfect
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Aug 11 2004, 03:28 PM
Post #6

Tom Felton fangirl and D/G fanfic addict

Group: Member
Member No.: 5,763
Hi! Call me Mallory. :)

After the confusion wore off, I was very happy and proud of myself, since I had to apply a couple of times.

Randomly logged into my fanfic user controls, and saw the autor options list.

Less than five minutes.

Portkey hosted all my fave pairings, so I automatically bookamrked it. The fanfics were(still are) of good quality, and the people seemed friendly so I decided it would be nice to post here as well. thumbup.gif
+Quote Post
Facade
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Aug 11 2004, 03:36 PM
Post #7

the girl your mother warned you about
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,809
Hi! Call me Sandra. :)

I remember going through my usual buckloads of emails from various Yahoo groups and reviews when I came across The Email. I think I just smiled and was really pleased.

2. How'd you learn you were accepted in Portkey or other sites?  Which of these indicators did you notice first?

Emails are usually what makes me aware. So yeah, emails.

*scratches head* I dunno, it's been a year(literally)! I either posted it on the same day or waited a while...

4.  What lured you to Portkey? Why did you want to be a Portkey author?

Well NAPPA's FFN profile directed me this way and I just visited the fanfic side for... months. Then as I joined the forums as a newbie I came across the message that said to apply. I shrugged and decided to try it out. To my surprise I was accepted...
+Quote Post
WonkyKris
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Aug 11 2004, 06:05 PM
Post #8

Waiting for the impossible
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,749
Hi! Call me Kris. :)

I was pleased. I, uh, guess I was happy.... whistling.gif tongue.gif

Er....E-mail I think.

I think it was like a day..maybe a little sooner.

I was "lured" on when I saw that it had J/L shipping. I didn't feel like becoming an author until I talked with Romy (Angel-Wing) and she encouraged me to give it a try.

Honestly, I hardly remember.... tongue.gif

--Kris--
+Quote Post
gal-texter
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Aug 13 2004, 09:42 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Group: Staff (admins c)
Member No.: 1,281
Hi! Call me Pen. :)

Read our feature on author HARRYS MISTRESS!

All quotes Nielle's/Anazecria's.
QUOTE (Anazecria @ Aug 11 2004, 10:34 PM)
Pen, do I need to answer these? You know my story probably better than I do! tongue.gif

Yep, I probably do. I know a lot more than many Wonks or other writers do about their own PK authorship stories.

At the very least most of this is probably well documented at Wonky.

Yeah, but only a few people bother to dig up Wonky threads.

My jaw dropped.

Oh come on, you knew we were going to accept you! I mean, at least 2 Fic Mods --Pat and myself-- invited you here! I even made a note in a Wonky Thread Index #__. It said that I'll let Pat approve your application since he volunteered to do it. He said, "if you [apply], let me know so I can approve [your application]".

Pen knows it was peer pressure and getting "caught in a thingy of my own thingy". tongue.gif

Why'd you think I put those devil icons there, in my first post? Hah!

Kris, I remember you asked me if your application went through.

Pen

This post has been edited by gal-texter: Aug 13 2004, 11:12 PM
+Quote Post
Hermione's Twin
NOV 25, 2010 ADVISORY:

post Aug 14 2004, 07:10 PM
Post #10

Happily delusional writer
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,472
Hi! Call me Jennifer. :)

I was shocked, happy, and amazed at the same time. Honestly I wondered why I had been accepted. Oh, and not to mention relieved because it finally worked, thanks to Pen.

Erm...I think I got the email first, went through said emotions above, and then checked out the author's panel.

I had to wait a day, I think, because my betas weren't done reading my first chapter. dry.gif

What lured me to Portkey originally was the new and exciting experience of meeting a bunch of HP fans online. I had never been on a message board before and I wanted to see what it was like. Best thing that's happened to me in years.

As for why I wanted to become a PK author...I was pressured. Some people read my ficlets and said I should, so deciding it wouldn't hurt to try I went ahead and tried to send in my application. Complete chaos. After spending some time in school PMing Pen we discovered that the apostrophe in my username was screwing everything up and she helped me fix it and send in my author's application. So really, all thanks goes to Pen. smile.gif

Jennifer

You're welcome. While re-reading this and other posts in 2008, I had the idea to make this H/H Ficlets Archive. People, go look for Jennifer's stories in there!

- Pen / gal-texter, re-reading in Jan 2009
+Quote Post

14 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

IMPORTANT ADVISORY as of Nov 25, 2010:

You have reached Portkey.org's forum. Due to server issues, we've had to put it offline temporarily. As such, only a few FAQs would be visible to visitors.
We will post updates here and / or in Portkey's LiveJournal community (click here) for the time being.
PK members may also post their (politely-worded) thoughts about the DH Movie in that LJ comm. (click here).
If you log in in this Portkey.org forum (talk.portkey.org), you'd see a "You do not have permission to view this board" message.
-- gal-texter (aka penshoppe in LiveJournal) on behalf of Portkey.org staff